Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

V Gouge Or French Edger

When you guys need to do a 90 degree bend do you use a gouge tool or can you get by with a french edger? Also can you recomend a quality v gouge?

It depends on the firmness and thickness of the leather for me. I use everything from a freehand stitch groover to a "U" shaped gouge. for a tighter corner, Sometimes I go to a narrow french edger to clean out between two parallel stich grooves for a wider one.

The gouge I use the most is a no-name. The freehand stitch groover is an old Gomph. Bob Douglas sells some saddler's gouges in different sizes. The Tandy adjustable gouge works alright too, but I had to flatten the bevel on the cutting edge some.

It depends on the firmness and thickness of the leather for me. I use everything from a freehand stitch groover to a "U" shaped gouge. for a tighter corner, Sometimes I go to a narrow french edger to clean out between two parallel stich grooves for a wider one.

The gouge I use the most is a no-name. The freehand stitch groover is an old Gomph. Bob Douglas sells some saddler's gouges in different sizes. The Tandy adjustable gouge works alright too, but I had to flatten the bevel on the cutting edge some.

Thanks Bruce