A couple of weeks ago the subject of rigging placement was being discussed as well as different methods of locating and accurately placing the rigging symetrically. I finally got my no account camera back and as I promised, here are some really bad pictures(didn't promise the really bad part but here they are). Hope you get the idea though. The bolts protruding from the plane of the jig on both sides are simply ground to a point and threaded through t-nuts that are embedded into the plywood. These support the tree with the skirts blocked. If you wish, the elevation from front to back can be easily changed to replicate level on the horse. To accurately locate the tree, measure from the bottom of the bar to the bottom of the jig and adjust untill the measurement is the same, and as you are doing this keep the center lines in the back lined up and you're there! I built mine to set atop my draw down stand for convenience and work height. The rest of the pictures should be self-explanitory...if you can make them out. I got to get a better camera...maybe a better photographer would help to...

Jon

Keep scrolling down, I finally got the pix to up-load.

Edited by jonwatsabaugh

Erm Jon im not geting the pics, Don

Having trouble here. When I try and up-load the pix, they won't show up in the posting window but do in my "manage your attachments" directory. I tried copy and paste from that but that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Jon

Jon:

This always works for me. Get the biggest mallet you have and press any key!!!! Just kidding

Jon,

I am not the most computer savvy guy, but here's how I do it. First I have the pic(s) individually on my desktop, I'm not very handy with files. I hit the browse button on the LW.net reply window and bring up the desktop. I click on the picture icon I want to highlight it and hit "open" on that little window there. That should bring a string of numbers or letters into that little box on the LW.net reply window next to the "browse" key. I hit the green "upload" button, and let it cycle through.

Hallelujah! Finally here they are. I had the files sitting in a folder and they would not extract from the folder...Thanks Bruce! I'm gonna fire my computer guy...

Jon

jig_1.JPGjig2.JPGjig_3.JPG

attachment=9025:jig_4.JPG]jig_5.JPGjig_7.JPG

jig_4.JPG

post-5418-1206486083_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1206486165_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1206486276_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1206486373_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1206486465_thumb.jpg

post-5418-1206486548_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this. It looks useful. I'm curious what leather you are using. It looks like Muir McDonald, but it could just be the photo. I heard they had gone out of business.

mulefool,

That is Herman Oak chestnut skirting. It's kind of wierd stuff in that it seems to be a bit on the waxy side. It requires very warm water to penetrate for casing purposes, but the end results in color and workability are quite pleasing. It works a lot like the old Muir McDonald skirting and is very firm.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for sharing the rigging fixture with the forum. It looks like it has alot of merit. Are the end supports under the base cut 90 egrees? Do the four bolts that protrude serve as a reference point on the outer edge of the bar for alighnment? Do you adjust or back them out when the skirts are blocked to the bars?

Thank you,

Steve

The support bolts serve to elevate the tree with the skirts off the face of the jig. They will locate somewhere on the pad surface of the bar... it really doesn't matter where. After you get the tree squared up on the jig, just firmly press down on the top of the tree and the points on the bolts will embed slightly in the skirts to hold it in position. Then all you have to do is measure front to back and from bottom up for rig placement and translate those measurements to the other side. Bolt extention doesn't matter as long as the front bolts are extended the same height and the back bolts the same.The jig went through a short evolutionary process when I was initially trying some different procedures so there is some stuff on there that's irrelevant. Basicly all you need to do is build half a box and locate the bolts. Obviously it must be absolutely square and semetrical. Yes, the two planes of the box are at 90 degrees.

Jon

Hi Jon:

I'm looking at your riggin jig. When you first start your work are the bolts up or down?

Doug McLean

406-853-6961

Doug,

The bolts always protrude out from the box face. The tree is supported by these and it touches nothing else. Hope that answers your question.

Jon

Doug,

The bolts always protrude out from the box face. The tree is supported by these and it touches nothing else. Hope that answers your question.

Jon

I like this idea. Looks a lot more user friendly than the stolman jig i just built. Not to happy with it

jon,

thanks for posting the pics. Very useful. I think I can use the idea for my saddle stand. Hope all is well. Look forward to seeing some saddle pics soon

justin