I just watched the Bianchi DVD which was real helpful. I have a question or two though, for those of you who machine stitch like he does. Look at my pictures below. Remember, this was only a real fast test to see how it would go.... don't laugh at the hideous results. Ok, maybe laugh a little.

Anyway... in the first picture, do these loops look too long? Should more brass be visable or is this about right? I used a 1" strip for the loops. These are 44 Special Cartridges. If it had been 44 Mags, of course more brass would have shown. So how wide of a strip do you use for 44's and 45's?

In the second picture, notice how some of the stitches are either too high or too low, I just can't get it perfect. When I try and do the angle up to the next loop, it is really hard to get the needle to end in the place that would look perfect. How do you do that little manuver?

I am happy at the way the measurements came out nice and snug and how it will look on a real project... I just want to get those dang stitches to end correctly every time! Ugh..... Help!

P.S. Do you guys use natural color thread or white like my thread? It sure looks bright!

1zgyvyg.jpg

ajteab.jpg

Edited by ShortBBL

Since you're basically sewing a 30-60-90 triangle, your angled stitch should be twice the length of the loop's width. But that leaves you trying to make the vertical stitch a multiple of √3. Kinda hard to do when the sewing machine is set to SPI, huh?

So, here's how to "nudge" the last stitch of the diagonal: Stop a stitch sooner, lift the needle and foot, move the leather, check the needle placement, adjust, drop the needle and foot back down, and start stitching again. You'll need to mark the location of the top of the loop and where you want to have the stitch, something like a little dot pressed in the leather with a modeling tool. Nudging the last stitch will result in a stitch that's either a little longer, or a little shorter than the rest of the stitches in the diagonal stitch, but since it'll be hidden under the loop, it won't matter much. The only way to make it so that no nudging is needed is to set the machine to stitch at an SPI where the numbers work out 'just so', and that would be a little difficult. It'd also require setting the strap width to match the magical stitch length.

So why does the stitch end up in the wrong place????? When you set the machine to sew at a specific SPI, it will, provided you're sewing a consistent thickness. When you sew the loop, you're sewing 2 layers; on the diagonal you're only sewing one so the stitch length may 'stretch out' a little bit.

A brief reminder of the formula is A2+B2=C2, where A is the short side, B is the long side, and C is the hypotenuse. Carpenters use this to check 'squareness' of a frame by measuring 3 inches on one side, 4 inches on the other, and the diagonal between them better be 5 inches...32(9) + 42(16) = 25...or...52.

See, all that math gets confusing....just lift the needle and foot, and move the leather to the right spot.

If I remember correctly, John also made a line along the top of the loops, . . . one at the bottom of the loops, . . . and he used them to reference his stopping and starting.

You don't have to worry about the line either, if you use a stylus to make it, . . . the area in question will all be covered or something when the project is in use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ahhhh. I didn't realize that I could stop the dang machine a stitch early and move to the exact spot I needed the last hole to be! Thanks a lot guys. This will help me in several areas!!

Yep, it's easy to get wrapped up in the big picture and not notice the little things. I know we all try to stay busy, but sometimes you gotta just stop and take a few minutes to look at something.

Yes for sure! This forum and all the great members here are really helpful and generous with sharing their knowledge.

Can't find a better forum IMHO!

Thanks everyone!

i have the same videos. it does take practice and i haven't perfected it. if i remember correctly, he stitched from the bottom up and the diagonal stitch comes from the top down. if it makes a difference. i hate wasting leather,but can't get good without practice.