Having just bought my wife a Kindle, i decided to make the protective cover myself rather than buy the rather naff Amazon cover.

Whilst thinking of a theme, i felt that the steampunk thing was really apt for an electronic book...so designed the stamping to reflect that.

Its coloured using a few different Fiebings dyes - my favourite is most definitely the English Tan.

Since i took the photos, i have adapted it slightly with a tongue at the top to stop the kindle from sliding out if the cover was carried upside down.

My wife is really pleased with her kindle and cover, and i'm really proud of the finished item...

love to hear your comments...

adam

Kindle-Front.jpg

Kindle-outer.jpg

Kindle-back.jpgKindle-inner.jpg

Kindle-upright.jpg

I like it a lot. Steampunk style is starting to grow on me. Tandy is starting to support it more and more and will come out with more of it in the coming months. I want to do one like that but add some real metal rivets or a gear or two. The colors are great.

yeah...i've been thinking how my next one will be incorporating some brass extras. I already have a bag of tin watch cogs that could be used, but i need to develop my ideas before jumping straight in (which is usually my problem!)

good job..i like it!

thank you.

nicely done. rolleyes.gifline.jpgrolleyes.gif. The Kindle is my favorite digital device because i love to read. I think the color goes very well with the Kindle.

Your kindle will be on fire with that cover!!! Great look to it!

thanks for the kind comments...i do feel a smug "i made that!" glow whenever i see my wife reading her kindle.

i'm now trying to think of ways to expand the look into some of my other project ideas!

That is awesome! Now I may have to try and make one for my Kindle!

very kind of you, sir.

Nice work, no problems with the dye leeching out of the flesh side?

I made a Kobo cover for my wife too, kinda like a black mailing satchel

style, went with kangaroo lace to tie it up as i had no snaps at the time!

no - not noticed any problems with leeching.

My only problem seems to be in getting an even covering. I'm considering trying an airbrush on my next one, but as i'm really cack handed with things like that it'll probably still look patchy!

yeah, I've had issues with that too, you tried wiping down the leather

with acetone first? Some people use airbrushes even after wiping

the glaze off, but a foam brush does well too.

yeah - give it good rub down first with Fiebing Dye Prep...

suppose it could also be less than perfect leather!

That is fantastic. I need to make one for my Kindle Fire. Any suggestions for me? I assume the outer cover is all one piece of leather, just tooled to look like different patches of metal? Great work. I've been thinking of doing this for some time, just couldn't work up the courage to do it.

Thanks.

you're correct - The uter is a single piece of veg tanned leather. I did the design on Adobe Illustrator, then printed it out and used that for the template.

The idea was simply because i wanted to find some way to tie in the ancient art of leatherwork and bookmaking with the modern hightech e-reader. Steampunk seemed like the obvious marriage of old and new tech. I quite like the notion of a nuclear powered, cog driven notebook!

Tooling was surprisingly easy.

The "metal plates" were tooled with a bevel on just one side of each cut line, then on the non-bevelled side i added a rivet mark. This then gives the illusion of the bevelled plate going under and being fastened.

All the stamping was achieved with just a few basic tools - a smooth sided beveller, a cross hatched beveller and a backgrounder. Rivet marks were made with a ball stylus. The larger rivets were made with first the handle of a stamp tool, then the smaller circle was a hole punch very lightly tapped so as not to pierce the leather.

Just bite the bullet and give it a go!

The total cost of the leather for this project is probably around £2-£3 with a similar amount spent on the dyes, so its not like you are going to go bankrupt if its not a total success.

Don't worry that you'll make a mistake, as thats how you learn. I made several on this project, but putting them right forced me to adapt the design (for the better) and it taught me stuff thats gonna be invaluable in future.