Calvus

Burnisher Made By Co-Worker

Several weeks ago I asked a co-worker if he had the wood working tools that would allow me to make my own drill burnisher. He's a carpenter by hobby, and it turns out that he did. When I told him what I thought I would need he asked if I had ever used a lathe before. When I responded that I hadn't, he volunteered to do it for me. Whether out of fear for his tools or just being a nice guy, I really don't know. I like to think he was just being nice. So I proceeded to show him what I wanted. He said he thought he could do it and to give him a few weeks.

Well, he handed me this the other day - http://i.imgur.com/AmwDbje.jpg

I almost fell out of my chair. I think it's beautiful! I've already tested it and it worked great.

Being the kind of guy that he is, he told me that he would not accept any payment. Having thought he might say that, I had already purchased the materials to make him a nice work belt. How nice remains to be seen, but his project will be the first to experience this burnisher. I told him that I'd have it no other way, which he was fine with.

From left to right it starts with a tapered hole burnisher, then it goes something like 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 1". It's made from cherry, which was harvested locally about 5 miles up the road. He applied a few coats of stain and lacquer and wanted to do even more lacquer, but decided to hold off in case that messed up the burnishing that it was intended for. I'm not sure if it would or wouldn't; either way, I'm fine with it. The metal post is actually a lag bolt with the head cut off and epoxied into the wood. I think he said it runs a little more than half way through the length of the wood.

At the moment I'm looking for a way to keep my new baby safe from nicks, etc... For now I'll just wrap it up in a hand towel with rubber bands.

Thanks for looking!

Congrats!