Sign in to follow this  
Cihowe

Consew 225 safety clutch chisel marks on teeth

I have a Consew 225 that someone put a couple chisel punch marks on the sides of every tooth. It have a new belt and seems tight. I don’t understand why this was done.

A little history - The safety clutch was seized up and was not trip even with a pair pliers on lower shaft. Removed it and cleaned up. After this worked great. So good that changing stitch length caused it to trip. I fixed this by loosing Allen screws a little on stitch length  assembly. Everything works great now with no problems.

My questions are, why would someone put chisel punch marks on the edge on every tooth of safety clutch, will these marks harm belt, do y’all think I need to change safety clutch?

Thanks for any incite on this

I can't tell you what was in someones head when they did this because I don't know  of any reason other than maybe the last belt fit loose so they "tried" to make it tighter.I would take a Dremel & grind off the high points of punch mark & called it fixed.

Thanks cowboybob. That kind of what I figured. The belt on it now seems tight. Have you ever heard of a belt jumping teeth? I have already took small file to outside of teeth. I get my Dremel out and cleanup the sides of teeth.

Edited by Cihowe