Sign in to follow this  
broncobuster

murphys soap.to clean saddles?

hi. ive got people who are using murphys soap. is this ok to use to clean saddles? i prefer saddle soap but just asking everyones opinion.

I sometimes still use Murphy's for the biggest reason that it is what my grandfather said to use. I much don't like paste saddle soap for the original cleaning of most pretty dirty saddles. I use it for a lot of things, but not cleaning saddles. I find the paste even on my hands doesn't lift much, takes some fairly warm water to really rinse very well, and leaves a pasty wax. It gets into nooks and crannies, and is heck to get out for me. If not Murphy's, I like the glycerine soaps. Being in northern California, a lot of guys prefer Bentley's liquid glycerine soap. I have used it, or the bar glycerine with about equal results I guess. Some folks are really touting the Leather Therapy products, but I haven't used them. I rinse a lot and want the saddle to be pretty clean before I go back and condition it. It may take 5 or 6 soapings and rinsings to get it there.