Sign in to follow this  
Billy P

custom seat for a Harley Sportster

Hi everybody, a buddy called today and asked me about doing a custom seat for a Harley Sportster that someone is restoring. He said the man wants some custom tooled lettering and he doesn't know what else. I can figure the materials and I can figure how much time for most of it, but I've not done a seat like this before and he also wants it laced. I'm not real fast or real slow at lacing just halffast I guess. I don't want to charge him time for my slowness, but I also don't want to cheat myself. I need help on deciding what might be a fair starting price and them we can go from there. Beezer, Dave, Leathernut, and all you other seat makers, I'd sure appreciate some help on this. So thanks for any and all advice in advance, Billy P P.S. I'm going to try an attach a sample of some of my carving as this may help you all know a little of what I do.

scan0006.jpg

post-97-1194315333_thumb.jpg

Billy, it might help to know what kind of seat pan you're gonna be covering. Stock 2 up, or a solo?

Hey there Outcast, my friend told me that it is a solo seat. He said the guy wanted lettering in the back where it has the roll from the back edge down towards the front of the seat. Around the little rise at the back that keeps you from sliding back. That's about all the info I have right now as I haven't seen the seat yet myself. Was told that it is a brand new seat that has now even been riden on, he just wants it recovered with a custom cover. Thanks Billy P P.S. I'm sending another sample of some of my past work.

scan0005.jpg

post-97-1194366928_thumb.jpg

Billy, I just took an order from a person in California to recover a brand new 21 x 12 Corbin solo seat. It will have just a minimal Celtic knot and a small tribal, like a tattoo in the rise at the back of the seat. My price for this is $365.00 Canadian Dollars. This would be more if there was going to be more carving on it.

Ken

Wow! I really like that clock Billy. It'd really look cool in my shop. Guess I'm gonna have to do somethin like that too.

Beaverslayer, what's that in american $? My daugher & son-in-law are over in Germany right now & said our U.S. dollar is about 1/2 as theirs. I hardly ever leave the yard, so exchange rates are foreign to me.

outcast

Well due to all the sub-prime mortgages down in the Us, and a whole lot of other things going on in the world today, it works out to $400.80 US at todays exchange rate.

The Canadian dollar has NEVER EVER traded this high before.

It works great for me, but is a real bad thing for others that rely on exporting goods to the US.

Ken