unionattic

Sergers with automatic thread tensioning

I tested a 'Baby Lock' serger yesterday. It had automatic tension adjustment.  It worked well. I replaced the typical gossamer thin garment thread with some serafil 30 and it serged just as perfectly with the far heavier thread, needing zero adjustment.

Am really curious how this works?  On youtube most of the videos are aimed towards my mom's audience, so no one cares to explain technically/mechanically how this works.  The closest clue i got was maybe it calibrates how much length of thread it feeds during the stitch, as opposed to relying on a tension adjustment.   Searching google just leaves me with blogspam.   

I wondered if any of the machine experts here knew how these automatic tensioners worked so well.

No expert here, but if you're talking about a computerized machine, and then if it's truly automatic, it monitors the fabric thickness and stitch pattern, and adjusts accordingly - All done through the miracle of electronics, with sensors telling solenoids what to do.

There are some machines like that, that require the user to adjust the tension within a certain range, and then the machine compensates a little - Those would really be semi-automatic. And it's not just sergers - Other kinds of machines can have the feature, also .

All this stuff is the reason I buy older machines - I wouldn't begin to know how to service one of these modern marvels, and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it.