Sign in to follow this  
Roger

seat

Hey beez,

I like the look of your new website alot.

thanks!

i started on it about a month ago and haven't had the time to take it any further.

Beeza,

Let me encourage you to hang in there, but go at it from a different perspective.

First, the spot you are in right now is why those of us doing leather (or any craft)work for a living need to have contact with others in a simular trade. It helps us stay fresh and encouraged, keeps us on track and stimulated. Not to mention keeps our mind open to other avenews to perpetuate our business which is our end goal.

I'll try to keep this short, but part of the decline in sales for me was not getting out to shows and events where prospective clientell go. I'm not implying you are sitting around, you obviously have contacted mags for adds, maybe even going to shows.

Yes things are slow all over right now. There has been a big boom in the economy, in your case, everyone had to buy a freeking harley to fullfill a 'dream' they couldn't back when most were too dorky or broke to pull it off. But now, besides the ecomomy which varies across the country, there are wives putting their foot down, or guys that can't handle the bike and don't want to admit it. There are higher motorcyle accident rates now and many other factors that are causing a decline in motor cycle sales in certain ares.

These things are normal for any busines as they deal with the fluctuation of the economy. That to say that the 'Economy' is levling itself out. In my opinion, things are cooling off, but there will always be an interest in bikes. The tough part is you and David and other seat makers are in a 'nitch' industry. You have to capitalise on that nitch. If you keep your quality up and stay active with the related nitch mfg.s(OCC, BMC,other custom chopper mfg.s) you will increase your odds of being one of those that become at least as stable in that industry as the industry is.

One thing I did learn though "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", DIVERSIFY, keep yourself open to other persutes to maintain a balence but don't be too quick to bail when things slow down.

Hang in there, step back, see if there is a different way to go about the same thing.

Good Luck. G. Hackett

P.S., I love the heck out of Big Daddy Ed Roth and the Rat Fink Squaud, that's another nitch!

Please pardon the spelling errors, spell check isn't working for me.:)