Gymnast

Bobbin thread tension and thread color

Now I have put a few numbers of sewing again... :rolleyes:

I know, that more experienced people here already have told us, that the same type of thread from a thread manufacturer are different. Different by color and different by batch.

I did not think. that it mattered that much for the bobbin thread tension, but when I could not repeat the balanced stitch from some previous notes I tried to measure a bit more. It was a Amann Serafil polyester thread Tex 135, and for the same setting of the bobbin thread tension spring I got these measured bobbin thread tensions measured by a spring dynamometer:

White: 0.5 N (1.8 oz)  
Black: 0.6 N (2.2 oz)
Blue: 0.75 N (2.7 oz)

This is a video about how I measure bobbin thread tension, but I guess many of you have already seen it: https://youtu.be/kINRgj42GnI

1 hour ago, Gymnast said:

I guess many of you have already seen it:

Yes. I do like how you also included the drop test at about 4:21 in the video which you called the "yoyo". Since most people don't use a gauge for measuring tension knowing how to do the drop test can be very helpful starting point.

1 hour ago, Gymnast said:

It was a Amann Serafil polyester thread Tex 135,

I can only imagine some of the tensions you would measure using a non brand thread.

kgg