Sign in to follow this  
exopaws

Rivet Press centering recomendations

Hello all! I've recently gotten into leather and biothane work over the last few months, and one of the starter tools I opted to get was the Kamsnaps KX press. It was a fantastic little thing for my very limited budget, but now I'm really hurting for add-on features that some of the other presses have, like the Weaver little wonder. Mainly, I'm struggling to center my punches evenly. I know eyeballing it is something that comes with time, but it's pretty disheartening getting done with a long string of straight punches and accidentally making the last one off.

On these simple solid body presses, has anyone figured out a good way to add a centering mechanic to it? I'm considering making some sort of flat little table that can slide over the bottom anvil and just drilling a weaver guide knockoff to it, but I'm curious if anyone else has their own solutions.

Which "KX" press did you buy?  The KX-8 for $30 or KX-T2 for $40?  (I have two DK93 presses.)  With my presses I have never had any trouble centering, certainly not after a little initial practice.  And I guess you're talking about punching holes, rather than setting rivets.  There is an optional base available for the KX-T2 press if you feel that might help.

If you're talking about punching holes (when setting rivets at least with the DK93 and appropriate die, it's pretty much self-centering) and getting them exactly in the right spot, what I do is carefully mark where the hole should go (if leather, I just use an awl, with other material a marker) and then (this is important at least for me) with GOOD LIGHTING I carefully lower the hole cutting die to the right position.  It's really very easy, especially if you've done a little practice.

Hope this helps.

Ah whoops, I completely forgot they have different ones to be honest. Mine's a DK93.Yes the rivet setting dies are wonderful! My own hand just unfortunately isn't very steady when it comes to punching holes, I do have some templates I've made for marking but when it comes to the actual punching I'm sometimes slightly off. And yes good point about the lighting! Unfortunately my work area doesn't have the best lighting, that might be why I'm struggling so much. 

Thank you!

Edited by exopaws

1 hour ago, exopaws said:

Ah whoops, I completely forgot they have different ones to be honest. Mine's a DK93.Yes the rivet setting dies are wonderful! My own hand just unfortunately isn't very steady when it comes to punching holes, I do have some templates I've made for marking but when it comes to the actual punching I'm sometimes slightly off. And yes good point about the lighting! Unfortunately my work area doesn't have the best lighting, that might be why I'm struggling so much. 

Thank you!

Without good lighting (and close to the hole cutting die) for me it would be hopeless.  Otherwise it's just about impossible to get the hole in the right spot.  I get my eyes really close to it and very slowly lower the cutting die until I'm sure it's perfectly in position.  Then while maintaining pressure on the handle, I swing my body around to get better leverage and just punch through.  Even a small LED light would help, but I need lighting from both sides, otherwise (is it parallax?) I just can't get it right.