Sign in to follow this  
327fed

Tennessee Tannery

I don't use much chrome tanned leather but if you do and are near Middle Tennessee you might want to drive to Tullahoma to Tennessee Tannery. It  used to supply a sporting goods factory (can't remember if it was Rawlings or Wilson) who made baseball gloves and balls. The factory is gone but the tannery is still there. They are the official supplier of leather for major league baseballs. There was a display there of all the major league balls but its on my phone with too big file size. I am not sure if they do mail order but on Thursdays they sell to the public at the plant. Very nice and efficient people. I got the 2 sides pictured (very good quality, but maybe seconds) for $81 each. My wife got the colored lace for $5 per bundle  (5 to 7 strips per bundle). In and out of there in 10 minutes. The first time I went they gave us a tour and it was very interesting. They buy all their hides in the North because southern hides have insect hole defects (bots, warbles, wolves as we called them). Have to pay cash for in the plant purchases as they don't have a credit card/check handling system. 

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

They are apparently a subsidiary of Rawlings.  When you attempt to go to their website as listed on the web, it detours to Rawlings.com.  

They do have their own Instagram page.  https://www.instagram.com/tennesseetanningcompany/?hl=en

This Canadian vendor features the Tennessee Tanning Co. leather on their site:

https://www.oaleathersupply.com/collections/rawlings-tennessee-tanning-co?page=1

Yes I sent an inquiry through the website and got no answer. Called the local number in Tullahoma and talked to a nice young lady.