Sign in to follow this  
DJ1935

Pearson No 6

We have just purchased another Pearson No 6 and were wondering if anyone can help with dating these machines. This one has the serial # 6892. Would really appreciate any information.

I would guess from my experiance that your pearson is from the end of WW1 to the early 20's. I have used one of these for over 20 years and love it. There are not many of these machines in the U.S. but I quite often have one for sale. Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply, the silence was almost deafening - as a beginner here I wasnt sure if I'd done something wrong. We also have a No 6 without a stand #10647 which an old ex sewing machine mechanic here reckons would be circa 1910 (but "experts" have been known to be wrong!). It is vastly different from the #6892 in some components and has different threaded screws. Which all started us wondering about dates and years and "improvements" along the way. There must be some info out there somewhere. We also have a Pearson A2 with 18 inch long head. This one is #5937 with stand and we know enough of the history to pin point it to 1857-60. But the head (or parts) may have been replaced due to it being burnt in a fire about 50 years later.

Regards DJ

Your 10647 # would be from the mid 30's. at some point around this number they switched to what they refer to as the positive drive feature, the stitch length adjustment is on the rear of the machine between the pulley and the main frame of the head. As for the age on your A2, from my research I found that W. Pearson and Sons was founded in 1877, They formed a partnership in the 1880's to become Pearson & Benyon which in turn was bought in 1899 along with 2 other companies by United Shoe Machine of Boston, Mass. This new company was called British United Shoe Machine Co. The high 11,000 is the newest machince I have ever heard of.

I currently have a Pearson on full treadle stand with bobbin winder for sale. It has been completely rebuilt and was one of 3 I bought from Don King earlier this year. Greg