Michielp

Sole stitcher options

Hi Fellow leather crafters, new on the group.

I want to buy a outsole stitcher her in South Africa, they are fairly scarce here. So I made a post on our local FB group to contact me if they have any or know where I can get one.

Anyway, 3 potential sellers contacted me with options, from price and to distance.

Option 1 Landis 12L at US$2000 will be delivered - working condition, been in storage

Option 2 Landis 12K at US$1400 have to collect - 3,5 hr drive - working condition - been in storage

Option 3 Vilh Pedersen 309 at US$1200 have to collect  - 1,5hrs drive been in storage for years, needs brass bushes. I have a work shop and can replace if I go this route.

Please assist me and in making an informed choice here, my hart says go for the Landis 12L, its a newer model in great condition, but way more expensive. The K on the other hand is also in great shape and $600 cheaper, but a massive drive to collect. and lastly the Pedersen 309. I have not laid eyes on this machine before and know nothing about it.

will the experts please advise.

thanks in advance

Edited by Michielp

All sole stitchers tend to be temperamental to setup and operate. All of these models have a curved needle and awl and sew with the bottom side up..

Outsole stitchers are heavy, even once disassembled into head and chassis. Figure the cost of the trip into your decision.

I've seen a few hundred K's in various states of repair. I've only seen two or three L's (Model named "Aristocrat") and they were more compact and beautiful. Each was sparkly clean and well maintained for a fifty year old+ machine. I suppose the men who owned them paid more for them and keep them in top order. I would seriously consider the option of local delivery worth the extra funds.

Edited by Brewerkel