Sign in to follow this  
PlanoMike

Stitch Length Settings on Cobra Class 26

I just got my 26 this week, and in the process of learning about it. Didn't understand the stitch length dial. so I started playing with it. Using a strip of 8oz veg, I sewed strips at the various setting s on the dial. Here's what I came up with. Hope it helps.

Mike in Plano, TX

Cobra Class 26 Stitch Dial

Stitches Stitch Stitch per Length Dial Inch in mm

Cobra Class Stitch Dial.pdf

Edited by PlanoMike

MIke, so the finest it will stitch is 7 SPI?

3 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

My Class 26 easily sews 9 SPI with a #22 needle and 138 thread.  It's rated at 3-10 SPI but I haven't tried smaller needle and thread.  I bought the machine (barely) used and it was making large stitches similar to what @PlanoMike is seeing.  I removed the stitch length dial and reset it so the middle range was about 6-7 SPI.  

I'll try what TomE did. Thanks for the replies.

When I did my test, I used 207 thread with a 22 needle. I didn't think needle and thread would make a difference on stitch length. On the other hand, I won't ever use more than 5 or 6 spi. 

1 minute ago, PlanoMike said:

I'll try what TomE did. Thanks for the replies.

When I did my test, I used 207 thread with a 22 needle. I didn't think needle and thread would make a difference on stitch length. On the other hand, I won't ever use more than 5 or 6 spi. 

The needle size won't affect the stitch length selector.  It's just a matter of choice; how big and closely spaced you make the holes for a given weight of leather and project use.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:51 PM, bruce johnson said:

As you can see from TomE, he gets 9 SPI. I talked to a tech at LMC this afternoon. he explained several things. The numbers on the dial a there for your reference, and have no specific meaning to the machine's SPI. As TomE said, you can losen the dial from the screw and move it counter-clockwise and retighten it. Turn the dial toward 1. That will get you more SPI (shorter stitches). You can do the opposite by moving the the loosened dial clockwise, retighten the screw, and turn it toward 0 and get fewer SPI (longer stitches).

This is why I created my leather strip stitch guide. I have been at the leather business for 6 years, all hand stitching. I had a SailRite LeatherWork for 2 years, but rarely used it. Didn't like the thread choice, was great for fine leather wallets. Because of my increased bag, purse, backpack work, I decided to go with the Class 26. So, I've got a lot to learn and a lot of practice ahead. Now if I can just keep my feet pressing the right pedal.

If you are going to any leather shows Chris Andre has a class on tips and tricks for the 26. Good class from people I’ve talked with