aribert

greetings - new member intro

Greetings all:

First post, joined because I just bought my first walking foot machine - a Mitsubishi DY-253 and the only information I could find (other than parts and owners manuals on line) were threads on this forum.  I am a rank novice at leather  working.   

I first used industrial sewing machines about 30 yrs ago at a former employer's trim shop during lunch breaks sewing things like leather shot bags (bag filled with lead shot or sand used as backing when hammer forming sheet metal).   Eventually I changed employers and I bought my first industrial machine, a Pfaff 138-6 that is more of a tailor's machine, not ideal for my uses but I simply did not know better.   I've wanted a walking foot machine for a long time and finally one became available at a price I could afford.   The machine was out of time when I bought it.  I joined  https://groups.io/g/vintagesewingmachinerepair   looking for assistance for timing my DY-253 and it was suggested that I join here for information - and since I had already read several of the threads on the DY-253 (and Seiko SK and the Singer 132K6) from this forum, it made sense that I join.   I have since solved my machine's timing issue and have ordered several sizes of needles.  Now I need to acquire tooling such as extra bobbins & a wider walking foot (the one that came with the machine is the same width as the presser foot).

aribert

Welcome! You're just beginning! Wait until you want to do some tooling.  A whole 'nuther addiction!