I'm working on something and a piece of leather has been exposed to acetone due to a bottle mixup. I couldn't tell because I was wearing a respirator mask to protect myself from fumes and couldn't tell by smell.

This piece is being used as the liner for the back side of a belt. It has some discoloured spots but they won't be visible. My question is if the structure of the piece has been compensated or if I'm able to use it anyways. It was exposed to a decent amount, two full "coats" of acetone that was supposed to be dilluted alcohol to even out the dye.

Other than the small discoloured spots and some small surface bruises that look and feel slightly rough, the leather feels and looks the same. It isn't deforming or cracking. It was given a generous coat of oil based conditioner as acetone dries out pretty much anything.  This leather is 4-5 oz veg tan.

Edited by LzCraft

It should be fine. Acetone is used as a cleaner and degreaser. If I have any doubts about the cleanliness of a piece of leather I wipe it over with a generous amount of acetone. Nothing bad has ever happened to the leather. If anything, the leather takes dye better and more evenly