BDAZ

Need a skiving accessory that may not exist?

I have a project coming up that will require skiving hide length 4" strips of relatively soft leather. Pricing hand cranked skivers, seems like they are way over my budget for this project. I have an Osborne 6" skiver which does a great job but will certainly get devious. akin to hauilg sails by hand...

I was thinking if I could find or build a 6" wide roller with a handle and a ratchet and month the two on a work bench, I could make short work of the skiving while getting consistent results as the skived side will be visible on the finished products. 

Has any one seen anything like this anywhere?  I suppose I could build one but time is money..

Suggestions?

Bob

This may sound stupid, but anyone in your area with the equipment you could pay to do it?

I thought  about that but there are no tanneries in Arizona so pretty unlikely. I was thinking about the sides to get skived somewhere but by the time I pay freight it breaks the budget. I think I found the solution..

https://www.amazon.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs-Roll-up-Trailers-Warehouses/dp/B01MT0WAGO

There are lots of these out there and a few that are designed to be bolted on to a truck. The price is attractive!

Bob

So that would be the "engine" to pull your straps through/across the blade? That is certainly thinking outside the box! Love it.

Now thinking in that direction, a come along at the end of your shop and a good clamp on the strap, block and tackle, two football players from the local high school.... (strike that last one, eat too much).

Edited by Wepster