ENC

osborn 84 spliter scale of thickness marks

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the marks on the scale of the osbourn #84 splitter are. Like where is 10 oz and where is 6 oz. I currently have a weaver 8 inch and there is no scale and the difference between 18 oz and 6 oz is 3/4 in. the difference between 6 and 10 oz is about 1/8 inch. this makes it completely worthless to try to skive the end of a belt.

Thanks for the help

Ray

7 hours ago, ENC said:

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the marks on the scale of the osbourn #84 splitter are. Like where is 10 oz and where is 6 oz. I currently have a weaver 8 inch and there is no scale and the difference between 18 oz and 6 oz is 3/4 in. the difference between 6 and 10 oz is about 1/8 inch. this makes it completely worthless to try to skive the end of a belt.

Thanks for the help

Ray

I have an old Tandy Pro splitter that is a knockoff of the #84.  For lap skives of strap ends the pressure/setting needed varies a bit with the type of leather and the condition of the blade.  Another big factor is the angle of the strap passing over the blade.   I pull the strap at a consistent angle and for constant thickness splits I have a finger on top of the strap entering the splitter to guide it.  This finger helps compensate for variable stiffness that changes the bend of the leather passing over the roller.  For lap skives I mainly judge by watching the split as I go, and practicing on scraps.  I begin the skive at the edge of the bag/crew punch hole and ease the pressure slightly before finishing the split down to about 2 oz thickness.  I split conservatively and touch up the end with a round knife if needed.  I avoid thinning the actual buckle turn where the tongue is inserted unless the buckle needs more clearance.  It is mostly by feel and watching the split.

Edited by TomE