YelloBird

Consew 255 Stitch length

I had a repairman out to the house today to fine tune my machine after I've taken it as far as I could. But.. he wasn't able to get the stitch length to increase from a minimum of 9. 5 per inch. The machine will sew 30 per inch and 10 per inch and that's all we can get. 

He's been repairing for thirty years. At the factories here in NC. He thought that maybe what he called "stitch regulator" (see photo of Singer 211 label J1 (my machine is similar) ) is worn out. My Consew is a very very used machine. 

He also said that the part isn't available. I looked up the 6 or so consew part numbers and 5/6 are listed at my parts supplier bit those parts are maybe 450$. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rehab this "stitch regulator"? Or any other things to try? 

Thanks in advance! 

Yello Bird

Screenshot_20230815_225412_Gallery.jpg

update to this post. A second technician came out the very next day and was able get the stitch length to around 8 per inch. He adjusted the pinch screw at the arrow. He said he could get even less stitches to the inch but that I would lose reverse stitch length. 

I sewed yesterday and would like to have that 6 stitches per inch. Would it be safe to try some adjustments at that location? Does it have a name? 

Regards 

Yello Bird 

20230818_192900.jpg

Yellow,

I'm having the same problem with an Eagle copy of your machine. I recently picked it up and after a thorough cleaning and readjustments to get it sewing I had a good 5 stitches per inch but no reverse. when I balanced the reverse I was left with numbers similar to yours. I haven't yet figured out if my particular machine is just not capable or if something is out of adjustment. I've contemplated setting a 50% reverse imbalance so I can get a longer stitch length but still have a relatively neat reverse pattern. 

One thing I've been curious is if my handwheel is rotating enough. Are you able to measure or at least estimate how much the wheel rotates from min stitch length to max? I'll try to measure mine tonight and report back. 

This is the video I used to do my adjustments. (thanks Uwe)