eblair

Horse halter

I’m attempting my very first leather project. I’m trying to make a leather halter for my mare. I purchased bridle leather 9/10 oz. But it is not as soft and supple as I would have expected. What can I do to make more buttery soft? What kind of lining do I need to add to the back? Anyone want to volunteer to walk me through it step by step? I’m sure I will have loads more questions lol

If you look at the saddle and tack accessory items forum you will find examples including my halter methods file. HO bridle leather is firm, which I prefer for cutting and sewing. I oil and condition it at the end of the project. No need to add a liner to the pasted back of bridle leather. If you want to add padding I can give you some pointers. 

Edited by TomE

43 minutes ago, TomE said:

If you look at the saddle and tack accessory items forum you will find examples including my halter methods file. HO bridle leather is firm, which I prefer for cutting and sewing. I oil and condition it at the end of the project. No need to add a liner to the pasted back of bridle leather. If you want to add padding I can give you some pointers. 

TomE, I’m not sure it matters but it is Wickett and Craig not Hermann Oak, perhaps I purchased the wrong thing? What type of oil and conditioner should I purchase? I appreciate your response.

1 hour ago, eblair said:

TomE, I’m not sure it matters but it is Wickett and Craig not Hermann Oak, perhaps I purchased the wrong thing? What type of oil and conditioner should I purchase? I appreciate your response.

Nothing wrong with firm leather for making tack.  I associate firm temper with quality tannage.  The back and butt are the firmest/strongest parts of the hide and preferable for making strap goods like belts and tack.  I put a light coating of Fiebings pure neatsfoot oil on the grain side after the project is finished, let it soak in for several hours to overnight, then condition the leather to add a bit of water resistance and luster.  Oiling will make the leather a bit more supple and it will break in with use.   Too much oil (saturating the leather) can ruin the leather, making it sticky and soft. 

My favorite conditioners for tack are Fiebings Aussie, Blackrock Leather N' Rich, and Bickmores Bick 4.  

A quality halter is stiff when new, and the leather is tightly wrapped around the hardware to reduce rubbing and wear. My 2 cents.