Sign in to follow this  
gintherjeep

I want to make a bicycle seat

I am new here so forgive me if this is the wrong place or I dont know what I'm talking about (I dont).

I am a cyclist and I like to build things. I love build bikes from the ground up, I build wheels and I will soon start work on building my own frame. I am a big fan of leather saddles like this.

tn_4%20-%20Brooks%20saddle%20(jase).jpg

I know where I can get the frame and rivits and the tentioning parts. I have repaired rivits in saddles like the one pictured so I understand that part. Now I would like to build my own but I dont know where to begin with the leather. I know I need a thick piece of leather and I need to form it some how. But out side of that I have no idea. Please give me any advice or feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks in advance

Edited by gintherjeep

welcome to the site. I would go with a 6/7 oz leather and wet form it to the pan. Get the leather soaking wet and then form it to the pan. Let it dry on the pan. You should cover your pan with some plastic (saran wrap to keep it dry. Good luck.

Johnny

The saddle in question does not have a pan. It is a hammock type. There is a frame at the rear to which the leather is riveted. The leather than stretches to the front adjustment mechanism where it is also riveted on each side. Between the front and rear is air below the seat. Rails connect the back frame to the front adjustment. These rails do not contact the seat except perhaps lightly at the sides. I do not know how the factories formed the leather. You can try asking them. Another alternative is to cover a seat that has a 'pan' or body. This latter type also uses foam and thinner leather.

I also believe that both Brooks of England and Ideale of France used about 9/10 oz or better. It's pretty sturdy leather. My Ideale seat has lasted me over twenty years.

Maybe make a wooden buck in the shape of the seat to form it, by wetmolding to the buck. Then, when dry, rivet to the seat frame. I agree with mike that Brooks uses about a 9/10oz. You want it stiff at first and with use it becomes more comfortable. Hope this helps.

John