Sign in to follow this  
setherd

watch straps

Hello, I have been making some watch straps and want to get better. I have a stingray strap I love. When working it though the edes are sharp. So far the best solution I've found is to take a dremel tool and bevel the outer edge. It's better but still not ideal.

Also when doing that it tends to dull the shiny pearls. Anyone know a way to get the "shine" back on the leather?

thanks!

Seth

Never seen it used for a watch strap, bet thats pretty trick looking.I use a Variable Speed belt sander running very slow to round the edge and a buffer to polish it using a soft buff with white compound. If your using a Dremel, I would use a small fine sanding drum to start then handsand it. Then dremel has small buffing wheels and you should be able to pick up white compound at most hardware stores.Set it on the slowest speed you can when buffing. Hope this helps. Dave

I Dremel it initially with various grit drums, and then use 320-400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to finish it.

One thing to keep in mind when sanding it, and this was told to me by one of the suppliers - wear a filter mask when sanding it. Since it is pure calcium and organic, I was told that if you inhale too much of it into your lungs you can get a nasty bacterial respiratory infection.

Edited by Mark Garrity