Sign in to follow this  
DJK

Downsizing sewing machine recommendation

I recently sold my Cobra 26 after realizing it was more machine than I needed for what I'm currently making. 

I've moved to making pool cue cases that utilize very light weights of leathers, including some exotics such as alligator, along with interior sleeves made with various felts. 

Now I need to pick up a machine that will handle these types of materials (hopefully with a net monetary gain in the process.)

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I just saw Wiz's in depth article of this subject and am now trying to digest all the info lol.

But if anyone wants to throw out suggestions in the mean time...

46 minutes ago, DJK said:

I've moved to making pool cue cases that utilize very light weights of leathers, including some exotics such as alligator, along with interior sleeves made with various felts. 

Now I need to pick up a machine that will handle these types of materials

How do you plan to, or are you currently sewing them? Your sewing method will point towards the best type of sewing machine for this job.

I have sewn a few cue stick cases and other round pouches and dice cups in the last 10 years, or so, In all those jobs i used a long arm, large bobbin boot patcher to sew up the arm. I used #138 bonded nylon thread on the top and bottom, with a #23 leather point needle. The early cylindrical jobs were sewn on a Singer 29k172 patcher. The later ones were done on an Adler 30-7, which replaced the Singer in 2018.

The cases I've made so far I sewed the long seam together both sides - wasn't thrilled with the resultant look of a flat protruding seam on either side.

Since the typical length of a case is around 30 inches (plus the separate cap of a few inches) would a long arm patcher like the Singer or Adler you mentioned allow me to sew an overlap seam up to about 16 inches then turn my piece around for the rest? In other words, how long is the arm?

Edited by DJK
clarification

15 hours ago, DJK said:

Since the typical length of a case is around 30 inches (plus the separate cap of a few inches) would a long arm patcher like the Singer or Adler you mentioned allow me to sew an overlap seam up to about 16 inches then turn my piece around for the rest? In other words, how long is the arm?

The arm on my Adler 30 is about 17 or 18 inches long. It's narrow at the left side and wider as it gets closer to the main body. You have to sew halfway, then pull it out, turn the work around, and sew the other half.