Toddo

Fiebings White Acrylic Dye

Anyone got any idea why they call this dye instead of paint?  How is this different from regular acrylic paint?

Feibings White Dye.png

Because its dye?

15 hours ago, fredk said:

Because its dye?

I can't understand how any dye could make leather white unless it's some kind of bleach.  Reading this article, It says that dye can only darken leather, not lighten it.  

https://leatherninja.com/leather-dye-vs-leather-paint/

Quick Main Key Points:

• Leather Dye Penetration: Dye penetrates the leather, forming a chemical bond and preserving its natural characteristics. It is permanent and can darken but not lighten the leather.
  • Leather Paint Characteristics: Paint sits on the surface of the leather, offering a wide range of colors and finishes. It is more versatile than dye but requires multiple thin coats for durability.

IDk. I guess I'm thinking about it wrong.  I'll have to experiment with it.  I was going to do a flag on leather and I wanted to do the colors in dye for a more natural look.  I'm going for a dyed look instead of that bright painted look.  I'm guessing this stuff is thinly formulated acrylic paint that soaks into the pores like dye.  Then is regular "non-acrylic" dye just thinly formulated paint pigment with an alcohol or oil carrier?  I can make regular acrylic paint soak into the leather pores quite a bit by just soaking the leather first with water and then watering down the paint.

Seems like it's some kind of word game really.