Sign in to follow this  
Paulin631

Tote bag and hand bag lining

Just made my first leather tote with a suede liner. The bag is just too heavy. Can anyone recommend a fabric type and supplier for this material? Thanks!!!

Look about on here for posts about lining bags with fabric; folks use a wide variety of fabrics, and much can be learned from the preexisting posts about what people used and where to get it.

But if you're looking to reduce the weight of the bag (as the wording of your post implies), while using fabric instead of another leather as a liner will help to an extent, you might need to consider using a lighter exterior leather or a leather of a different type to reduce the weight significantly.  That will likely make the biggest difference, as suede is not heavy stuff, either in the sense of literal weight or the sense of bulk.

Thanks for the reply! I'm using 5 Oz finished veg tan, pretty heavy. I have a couple sides I must use and can't split it now. I hand sew and put a great deal of time into my project, overkill. I make for family and friends. I like the microfiber bag liner from RM Leather but I haven't found it in the colors I need.

Definitely substantial stuff, although I wouldn't think suede would add appreciable weight or bulk.  But that may also depend on the volume of bag you're making, so a microfiber or other fabric liner may make a noticeable difference.  it is certainly true that fabric is thinner and lighter than suede, so that may answer your need.

Something like a nice flannel might make a decent pairing with veg tan, depending on the style of bag and what all you've done to the outside.