Billfromnc

Singer 111w151 problem sewing when hand cranking?

Hey all I'm new to the forum.

I just purchased a Singer 111W151 and it will sew all day with the motor but the moment I start manually cranking it by hand to get to the end of a stitch (after a few turns the thread) the thread will go around the bottom of the bobbin housing and jam up? it seems like it will do it more when I turn directions? I'm running #69 bonded nylon thread. The bobbin housing had a piece of thread stuck in the spring which I was hoping was the problem, but no luck. I also noticed that when you pull the bobbin thread up with the needle it's pretty hard to get it to come up like it wants to stick? Timing looks ok, needle height looks good, and the timing between the top and bottom or ok. I changed needle and thread but still the same. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I just noticed the feed dogs on this machine don't look right? I was looking at a few 111w151 on the internet and it looks like my machine is missing part of the bottom of the feed dog. I marked it this pic.  The pic on the left is a new feed dog and the one on the right is my machine. Do you think that would cause the problem I'm Having?

Feed Dog.jpg

20240226_133144.jpg

It may have to do with the design of the hook. If you stop at precisely the wrong moment and turn back just little bit, the thread may fall under the hook and you’re doomed. Here’s a video that shows that problem:

A more detailed discussion of the issue can be found here:

Edited by Uwe

Uwe, thanks for your response. Yeah like I was saying everything timing wise looks ok with the machine.

Would you replace the feed dogs? I don't know why anyone would cut that off? unless they were having problems with marks and the material and figured a couple less fed dogs would make a difference. 

Thanks again... 

I don’t think the feed dog would cause the problems you’re seeing, but it might be nice to have a new matching set. Here’s one option on Ebay that matches your parts diagram. At $18 they’re cheap enough to just give it a try. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144856325255

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0416.jpeg

You've been very helpful. Thank you Sir.