Parity

Horween Essex for belt

I bought 2 Horween veg-tan 5oz straps from Buckleguy to make a stitched belt. My plan was to put velodon in between the 2 straps, glue, and stitch the belt together. This being my first belt I used some natural veg-tan to practice while waiting for the strapts to arrive. Once I received the straps I noticed that the leather itself feels a little more flimsy than my practice veg-tan belt.

I have a few concerns; should I be worried about the belt stretching out or am I in the clear? I like the feel of the Horween essex but is it not a good idea to use it for a belt? Should I have purchased a Hermann Oak or W&C strap instead? Finally, any thoughts on using the Horween on the interior of the belt and a W&C strap for the exterior?

Here's a link for the straps I bought.
https://www.buckleguy.com/horween-essex-leather-strap-black-55-to-60-long-multiple-weights/

Thank you!

I would think a good contact cement plus velodon would minimize stretch.  It really does depend on the application / expected use of the belt.  If this were a heavy duty gun belt, I would probably do a veg tan backer and then the 5 oz outer.  If it's more a fashion accessory you'd be okay.

I've also seen polyester ribbon as an intermediate layer to prevent stretch.  Again, secured with a good contact cement.