I tried to clean my sofa with mild soapy water! It went all gooey on the surface which I thought was dirt and grime so I tried to gently scrape the gunk off it while it was wet

The sofa is over 20yrs old and I think it's an oiled pull-up Aniline but I've made such a mess of it now, is there any hope of rectifying this? 

I suppose I should be glad that I didn't start on the chair :-(

IMG_5062.jpeg

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5058.jpeg

IMG_5061.jpeg

IMG_5059.jpeg

IMG_5057.jpeg

Wow, this is tricky. I'd say no more soap. Let things dry out a bit, then a damp cloth a few times, drying between but just to get any loose gunk. Don't over do this, you need to go easy as that leather looks quite worn, then, a very mild conditioner/cleaner. Use it in a spot less visible, and see how it goes. If that works out, go further for a light cleaning. Make sure the cloth you use with the conditioner/cleaner does not have too much "fricton" (not a rough cotton terry towel). Good luck. Angelus leather balm is my go to, others here may have better/other ideas. 

Thanks Nate

Unfortunately this is the dried out result of the damage I did 

:-( the damaged parts of the sofa looked like the oil stain on the back of the sofa before I did the cleaning, the black cracked pictures show the damage that I ended up with.

The leather on the seats that has ended up black and cracked looked like the leather on the chair before I started so it wasn't worn when I started but I sure made a mess of things didn't I 

Edited by Shazbaz

Hmm. I'm a bit stumped then. Were this mine, I'd  test different conditioners in discreet spots until I found whatever worked best, then use that.