MonteS325

Wanting to find someone who can replicate a historic piece

New member here.  I am looking to find someone who can make a copy of a historical leather and tin piece for me.  I have access to the original, but the owner will not let me ship it to anyone, so I would have to supply any measurements needed.  I have attached pictures.  I am wanting a leather case that protects a wagon odometer.  This is a container made of tin, just under 5" across, a little over 2 1/2" deep, with an opening at the top, that has two sets of rails inside that the actual odometer slides down into.  Then the leather part of the case goes around the tin, protecting it, keeping the dirt out, as well as allowing for the case to be tied to a wagon wheel via two sewn on loops, opposite of each other.  The opening of the leather case has an inner set of flaps, (these have broken off on my piece) that makes me wonder if the case has two layers of leather that circle the tin.  the opening is secured with a strap and buckle.  The thick lines of the grid squares on the paper in my pics are 1".  I realize finding someone who can do both the tin work and leather work might be a challenge, but I have to start asking somewhere.

KIMG0198_01_BURST1000198_COVER.jpg

KIMG0199_01_BURST1000199_COVER.jpg

KIMG0200_01_BURST1000200_COVER.jpg

KIMG0201_01_BURST1000201_COVER.jpg

KIMG0202_01_BURST1000202_COVER.jpg

KIMG0203_01_BURST1000203_COVER.jpg

KIMG0204_01_BURST1000204_COVER.jpg

KIMG0205_01_BURST1000205_COVER.jpg

KIMG0206_01_BURST1000206_COVER.jpg

@MonteS325

Fascinating piece of measuring equipment.

I am a bit tempted to give it a go, but I have a lot of jobs at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to do it straight away.
Plus I am located kind of far from Texas (Denmark), so there'd be some shipping involved etc.

My best suggestion would be to contact the local vocational technical college and ask if they have a sheet metal class. They should be able to solder the metal part for you. Then it would be down to finding someone near by who could sew the leather on it.

Good luck

brgds Jonas