Sign in to follow this  
waynebergman

Singer 281-21

I have the option of buying a 281-21 for cheap. $100 and its seems in good shape. Clutch motor so I guess its not ideal. I have never used a machine before and like hand saddle stitching but I have a project that is larger in size and hand stitching is not going to be an option. I wonder if I could even hand crank it with the brake off to make it faster than hand stitching. The price is so good it is tempting but no use buying if its useless for leather. Any tips much appreciated. Also does anyone know the estimated weight of this machine complete with its table, feels like a beast so I may need more than one  helper to get it into the van. ..........thanks Wayne Bergman

1 hour ago, waynebergman said:

have the option of buying a 281-21 for cheap. $100 and its seems in good shape.

This is a high speed machine made for sewing fabric and is only a drop feed with a max thread size of V92. It may very well sew very very thin leather but I wouldn't bother. The price is OK but adding a servo motor to get good speed control is going to add another $200 CAD which could go towards another machine made for leather. How thick of leather are you planning on sewing and in what thread size??

kgg

thanks kgg, good advise. I will wait until a leather specific machine comes available, I am in no hurry. To answer your question normally 3 to 7 oz for projects in the past. Not sure what thread thickness but not thick I would say.........wayne