Sign in to follow this  
whipit

Hand Crank Splitter

Hi, Just a quick question. I'm looking at buying a Weaver Hand Crank Leather Splitter. I would like too find out if anyone is using one and if so are they worth the money. I live in Australia and these items are hard to find, is their any other company's that will sell too overseas customers.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Bob.

I do not own one but I have played with one at the show in Sheridan last year and they seem to work nice. Seem to be well made and with most of Weavers equipment they stand behind them.

Randy

Whipit,

Before you buy from the states and pay shipping, you might email Peter Main. He's from Australia and may be able to tell you where you might find one locally. Just a thought.

Marlon

I am not home to check, but I recall the Weaver model is pretty pricey. I turned the crank on one, and they are a good machine. The only new ones that I know of. You can probably buy an old Landis or American from one of the reputable dealers in used equipment for about a third the price. Shipping should be the same new or used. Another source might be Pilgrim Shoe. They have a ton of parts and have bench machines listed on their site. Pretty knowledable folks when I have talked to them.

As far as being worth the money. I hven't ever seen one sell used, but the old Landis and Americans bring the same or money back when you go to resell them. I would wager you would take a hit on reselling a Weaver you paid new price for.

I am not home to check, but I recall the Weaver model is pretty pricey. I turned the crank on one, and they are a good machine. The only new ones that I know of. You can probably buy an old Landis or American from one of the reputable dealers in used equipment for about a third the price. Shipping should be the same new or used. Another source might be Pilgrim Shoe. They have a ton of parts and have bench machines listed on their site. Pretty knowledable folks when I have talked to them.

As far as being worth the money. I hven't ever seen one sell used, but the old Landis and Americans bring the same or money back when you go to resell them. I would wager you would take a hit on reselling a Weaver you paid new price for.

Bob, I know a fellow here in Oklahoma that has 2 pretty good 6" splitters for sale. He did a couple of weeks ago. I think he was asking $600 choice. If anyone is interested I will post his contac info tomorrow. FYI he has an auction the 22 of March and will sell lots of saddle tools and machinery.He also has several leather co that have consigned leather and hardware. He seems to always have a lot of good used equipment and says his middle name is TRADE. I traded for a couple of machines, crank creaser, and 2 sonny Felkin trees. I think my last name is TRADE. He is good to do business with as most cowboys I deal with are. Ronny

I worked at www.panhandleleather.com and we always had some splitters around. Try giving these guys a call.