Or this one for 85 dollars US ?

s-l140.png

Rose knives are among the most difficult to restore. They can be among the hardest steels. They can be prone to pitting when found. Combine those two factors and refurbishing equals time. Lots of time. My first Rose was an education. 

Short anecdote - I was visiting Keith Pommer several years ago. I picked up a Rose on the bench he had about finished for himself. It was a beautiful knife. He made the comment that I probably wouldn't believe him, but he had 8  hours in that knife and wasn't quite done. I told him I definitely believed that. Been there on several Roses. A couple years ago I had the opportunity to buy his personal set of tools after he passed away. My wife knew what Keith and those tools meant to me so 4 days later I was on a plane to pick them up and ship home. One of my prize possessions is that Rose. 

Unless you're devoted to hard work restoring steel, I'd pass it up.  Bruce convinced me not to take on a similar project with a CS Osborne in similar condition, which was a good call.  The CSO has softer steel.  I found one in much better condition that just needed edge work (reprofiling the bevels and honing), which was a good choice.  Restoring something like that takes a lot of dedication.

Bruce, isn't it beautiful to have a tool that has spent so much time in the hand of a dear friend?   I am glad you had such a good friend and now continue with his good tools.

I guess I'd be willing to put 8 or more hours into it if I knew what I was doing or could learn without wrecking it. I don't think that's the case though, and if it were to take that much work I don't think I could pay anyone else to do it either.  Thank you for the good and cautious advice.

But you can spread the 8+ hours over a period

I bought this repro knife earlier this year, straight from the forge, I have quite a few hours on it and I'm not finished yet

Lunette with awl, 08LWs.jpg

Edited by fredk

What an interesting (and intimidating) tool.