Brianna

Does the "diameter x 4.6" rule of thumb break down at smaller diameters?

Hey folks,

My understanding is that a good rule of thumb for "how wide should the strands be/how many strands do I need?" to plait around a given diameter is "multiply the diameter by 4.6 and that's how much width the strands should total to". For some reason I also had "multiply it by 4.0" floating around in my mind, but I can't remember if that was for something else or if I just imagined that one.

Anyway, I started doing some tests with 4-4.5 mm lace I cut from 4-5 oz single shoulder cowhide, and the numbers aren't adding up. I'm trying to plait around something that is around 3 mm in diameter with a 6 plait, but I'm still somehow coming up short with the coverage. Even at a conservative estimate of the laces being 4 mm wide, that would come out to 24 mm of coverage for 6 of them, and the equation only calls for about 13.8 mm. My coverage is really uneven, with tight plaits on one side and wide ones on the other, which I feel usually happens when there's not enough coverage.

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe the thickness of the laces is throwing off the measurements? They're about 2 mm thick each. I want to do this quick sanity check before I start planning out the rest of the whip. I don't want to get all my laces cut, tapered, and conditioned only to realize I messed up the math, you know?

Thanks!

Edit: I've done quite a few paracord whips, but I've only recently gotten into working with leather. Still getting used to the differences.

uneven coverage.png

Edited by Brianna

I’ve not heard that formula before, I’ll have to test it. I times the circumference by 1.5 & divide by the number of strings I plan to use.

Diameter x 4.6 (actually closer to 4.71)  comes out to approximately circumference x 1.5, so it's essentially a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation. 

edit: Thanks, also! (where are my manners?)

Edited by Brianna
added a thanks

Always good to learn something new, i tried both formulas & results are close to the same. Yours is less complicated. Have you considered keeping the same width & going to 8 strands?

That's actually what I ended up doing, and it worked out pretty well. The part that confuses me is *why* it worked as well as it did, because according to how it's "supposed to" work, the 6 plait should have already been more than enough.

I'm gonna be doing a 12 plait with approximately 6 mm wide strands for the overlay, which will be a lot closer to what the formula calls for than the 8 plait of 4.5 I did for the belly. Just hoping that it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

Pictured is the 26 inch belly of a 3 foot snakewhip I'm making.

leather snakewhip belly 20240720_121504.jpg

Am I looking correctly at the pics of you 6 strand braid? It appears you did an under one over two braid which is a half round braid.

Edited by bucksnort