Sign in to follow this  
waynebergman

Taking TK 2973

I see a Taking TK 2973 for sale, machine only at 1300 cnd. I guess these are like the singer 29k70 . Can anyone tell me please if this patcher will leave marks on either side of veg tan leather? I am guessing it will but wanting to check with others that may have used this machine. Have these modern clones any better or worse than the origianl old timer 29k models? Thanks ....wayne

Screen Shot 2024-07-24 at 12.31.45 PM.png

47 minutes ago, waynebergman said:

Can anyone tell me please if this patcher will leave marks on either side of veg tan leather?

Yes, absolutely! Patchers are totally top driven by the teeth on the bottom of the presser foot. You must apply enough foot pressure to move the material and not let it lift as the needle ascends. The teeth will leave tracks in veg-tan leather, Latigo, bridle leather and some other retanned leathers. It doesn't usually leave marks in chrome-tan leathers. If you grind down the teeth, the foot may just glide over the leather. Some have had success shrinking carburetor air tubing over the legs of the foot.But, with the reduced top drive, you may need to push or pull the work to get acceptable stitch lengths.