JH837

Tried a basic pictorial carving but don’t have any figure carving tools yet.

I find figure and pictorial carving really amazing and wanted to tinker around and try to learn a bit about it. My work is far far from good but I will keep practicing and I’m gong to work on making some pine tree stamps like 912-913 sets out of stainless bolts and foliage like the 934 and also a triangle beveler and lined triangle I believe it was 902 I can’t remember  and see if I can’t actually get good at carving with enough time and practice. Been working on. Just beveling some areas and cutting others and beveling and playing around with the effects and also trying to get better at using the cheap Tandy modeling spoon and then I’ll probably make some spoons as well once I figure out making stamps a bit better. 

IMG_0132.jpeg

It may not be expert, but that scene is recognizable for what it depicts and shows a good sense of depth. Getting the depth and perspective right is, in my opinion, critical for good art. That looks like a coaster round—am I right about that? If so, it’s a small surface and not easy to work with. Even if it’s bigger, that still looks good to me, frankly. I rather like it. 

Yea it’s a coaster 3 3/4” round. I am going to stop by Tandy and get some cheap basic figure carving bevelers I think so I can use the time making stamps to make the pine tree stamps and a couple different variations of foliage stamps and then a checkered pine tree triangle stamp to make the background shaded in the trees and keep practicing and when I have the extra money I plan on taking some online classes of Britt Nance’s and Bob Beards to get a grasp on technique and see how that helps me in my tooling journey. Thank you I appreciate the kind words they motivate me to keep trying to better my skills !!!

I like it. I think it almost all works on some level. The, I think trees, on the top seem awkward. The stamp on the very bottom/left is just out of place. I could see pieces of this embellishing some wallet, bag or something.

How about some watered down dyes to create a color wash here and there?

On 10/24/2024 at 7:15 PM, AlZilla said:

I like it. I think it almost all works on some level. The, I think trees, on the top seem awkward. The stamp on the very bottom/left is just out of place. I could see pieces of this embellishing some wallet, bag or something.

How about some watered down dyes to create a color wash here and there?

Yeah the cheap plant stamp does look out of place so I used my f120 I think it was and added some tall grass around it and it blends better and I also added a carved pine tree in the foreground to add more depth to the scene and now I plan on using the new figure carving stamps to add more background pine trees so they fill the valley floor in the back right side.