Sign in to follow this  
broncobuster

Introduction

Im in wisconsin. ive always wanted to learn boot making, saddle making, silver engraving lol like to do all kinds of stuff. Im self taught on lots of stuff. been ripping saddles apart n putting back together for years but never built one from scratch. I want to learn fitting and what goes with it. I have my ideas but until ya work with a saddlemaker you dont know for sure. just started shoe n boot repair finally learning that from the local ol timer so not so self started there. dont have a lot of this type of stuff in WI. Is there any books, schools, private people/shops thats close by that is willing to teach or where to look. like ive said ive done leather for 30 yrs self taught. i can read by the posts in here im doing things remotely right lol n ive sold items so i guess my work is ok there but i know ive lots n lots of room for improvement. just wished there was a leather show a bit closer. the other problem is im a bit tied down so cant go for a long period of time away(got a farm/horses)so hinders a lot for me to. ben wanting to learn all this since i started 30 yrs ago but just in the wrong part of the country. this site has helped me a lot since ive found it. but nothing like hands on with someone who knows there stuff. im a watch n learn and do type of person(quick study) any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks Bonnie.

Get ahold of the leathercrafters and saddlers journal for back issues. They did a series on boot making and saddlemaking.

Bonnie,

A year ago this past June I took Carl Chappell's bootmaking class in St. Jo Texas. It was a 2 week, 12 day, 12 hours per day class. Carl is a master western bookmaker with a very well equipted shop. You will build one pair of custom boots during the class. At the end of the class you take your last home, your boots and a set of instructional DVDs. I'm not aware of any training in the midwest. Most custom bootmakers who offer training are in the west and south west United States.

Carl's website is www.trailtowncustomleather.com

nobody around wisconsin that does saddle building or boot building? thanks for the input. im looking for hands on stuff tricks of the trade. not all the secrets lol. just like to watch a pro at work i learn better that way. books just dont show you or tell you everything. or ya dont get why a procedure is done etc.