Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak

powder blue drum dyed Wickett Craig

I just got a very nice large piece of latigo at a low price. Good so far. The reason it was so cheap was the color - powder blue.

It is a drum dyed Wickett Craig piece.

Now unless someone like Beaverslayer steps up and tells me it would be ideal for his leather work (I rode a harley until a rather bad accident where I flew through the air about 20 feet, crashed through a traffic sign and landed ribs first on a concerte curb), I am looking for a way to change the color of the entire piece. I doubt my hunting buddies would flock to my door for a powder blue rifle case to take to Africa, with matching sling, of course.

I have not tried to do this with a drum died piece of any leather, let alone latigo. Any advice?

Thanks

cut a piece off.... and play with it... see if you can make it darker.... I dont know about dying latigo.... might take... might not.... but post your findings....

Kodiak, I'm pretty sure Powder Blue is out for pretty much everything I make, and I have never used Latigo. But as Wolvie says, try a piece, there's a chance it might take.

One thing though, the gun case would probably scare of any big game you may encounter in Africa.

Ken

Beilers Mfg & Supply

3023 Irishtown Rd

Ronks, PA 17572

717 768 0174

carries some types of black dyes (NOT fiebings or tandy) that may perhaps work. The one, Jet Black #306 is recommended that it be used with good ventilation: it comes only in gallons & the stock # is 07746. They also carry powder dyes (the color isn't specified= probably black???) in 5 lbs (#07748) & 1 lb containers (#07749)

I hope this helps, Kodiak.

russ

Kodiak- I'm not very optimistic that you're going to successfully dye a piece of latigo. Because of the oils and waxes, it's going to be hard to get any dye to penetrate the fibers and not rub off later. If you decide to experiment, use scraps of your hide for testing before you commit the whole hide. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out. If you do get the hide to take the dye well, we are all going to be begging for the secret! You could try to find a powder blue project or maybe sell the hide here on the Marketplace forum if your scraps don't turn out as desired.

Johanna

I love a challenge.

The drum dye means the stuff was immeersed in a die then tumbled to get the dye to completely soak through.

Thinking out loud here....

So, I probably need to see if I can get the oils and waxes out, at least as part of my mad leather experiment. Is there a product other than acetone that can be used for de-oiling and de-waxing?

It is probably a given that the piece will need to be soaked in the dye - probably a non oil dye to start with. Then maybe a bath is some oil based dye.

Beaverslayer - sorry to hear that. You could certainly liven up the road and those quaint biker bars. Have any customers in San Francisco?