Sign in to follow this  
RawhideLeather

A maul works much better than a mallet

Hello all, If you are in the market for a maul and don't want to pay the high prices for what is offered on the leathercraft sites you might want to check this one out. It is only $24.95 for a 30 oz. maul and I think they are well made and a great buy for the money! A maul works much better than a mallet in most applications in my humble opinion. I find the 30 oz. works great for punching holes, etc. in heavier leather but they offer lighter ones as well. At these prices you can buy several for the same money. Happy Holidays!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mallets-30-oz-/H0992

Looks pretty good, Have you been using one ?

I'm curious to know how they compare to the BK Poly Mauls or the traditional rawhide maul?

The ad says that they are quiet but I would assume that would be compared to the solid wooden mauls. Thanks for the web site.

Blake

Hey guys, I just added a reply to another post about the maul. I have one of Grizzlies smaller mauls, I think about a 14oz. I have come to really like using the tapered maul, as it helped me with the pain I was having in my shoulder and elbow. In my opinion they are a good deal, but they are made of a soft material. They are great for small tools; small bevelers, seeders, and such, but they bounce too much for any medium size up bevelers, pear shaders, cam, etc. I know as soon as I get some things straightened out and can afford it. I'm going to get me another one, probably a Barry King. My best advice is if you are going to invest in one you'd be better off spending a little more money on the BK or another one made out of the harder material. Regards Billy P

Blake,

I use the 30 oz. maul everyday and I think it's perfect for what I do (punching holes, slots, etc.). I don't do any tooling however so I can't attest to it's suitability for that particular purpose.

I'm curious how it holds up to heavy whacking on metal tools. I believe most wood carving tools have wood or plastic handles that are much larger than the leather tools. Do the leather tools put dents in the poly surface?

I haven't tried this maul, but I do use one. It is much more ergonomically designed than the mallets that come with Tandy starter kit. I only keep that cheap thing around for when I have kids that want to play with things.

MikeG

Yes, the tools do leave very shallow dents in the surface of the maul head so as Billy P suggested it may not be hard enough for tooling. I should have mentioned that I no longer do tooling in my first post. Still if one doesn't do tooling or maybe wants to save the expensive maul for tooling and use one like this for everything else it might be a good buy.

We were given one of these Grizzly mauls as a present because someone knew that we did "some leatherwork". Long story short is that we concur with Billy P. that these do bounce quite a bit and are made out of a softer material rather than high density poly thereby creating lots of small dents as you tool.

Regards,

Ben

I use a 20 oz version of the wood carver's mallet from Wood is Good. It's quiet, comfortable and I haven't managed to put a dent in it yet. I use it for a fair bit of stamping and punching holes.