Sign in to follow this  
Grunt

Knife Sheath

Here we go again. Standard disclaimer about lousy pics is in effect.

I have wanted to try a few different techniques in sheath making for some time now so I combined them in one sheath.

Inlay. One of the things I like in a sheath is a nice inlay. This one is some lizard-print embossed leather I got from the scrap box at the Leather Factory. I figured the color would complement both the leather and the "snake skin" micarta handle. Besides I didn't want some to waste a perfectly good piece of lizard skin in case the sheath didn't turn out like I wanted.

Horizontal/Crossdraw. I have seen others do this and decided I should try it. I decided to cant the belt loop a little bit to get the sheath to ride in a slightly "handle up" position. I think next time I will place the belt loop a little lower down.

I left the edge un-colored. I like the wood-like look of the edge so I just burnished the edge and finished it "clear". I though this would also complement the "snake skin" micarta handle. I am not so sure about this part though. I don't think I will be using this edge treatment again.

One thing I am happy about though are the stitches. Everything came out great both front and back. I think I may be getting this stitching thing down.

Anyway here are the pics.

badger1.jpg

badger3.jpg

badger2.jpg

Overall this sheath was a big experiment. Let me know what y'all think.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,

Nick

Edited by Grunt

Nick, thats a real nice sheath. I especially like the way you burnished the edges. Any special thing you're doing to get that effect?

Ken

Very cool work! I like the overall design. Could you post a pic of the knife out of the sheath? Thanks.