Sign in to follow this  

I would like to start using either tan kote or bag kote on my bags as a finishing step just before the last step which is the application of either Pecards, Aussie Wax, or Sno-Seal.

I'm not quite sure of the difference between bag kote and tan kote (i'd be using neutral of both). Upon further reading, it seems that tan kote provides more of a resistance to moisture, which sounds nice in combination with Pecards et. al.

Here is my conditioning regimen:

1. LExol or fiebings 4 way conditioner, if necessary.

2a. NEatsfoot oil on latigo and veg tan leathers.

2b. Bickmore Bick 4 on chrome tanned leathers.

3. PEcards, Aussie Wax. or Sno-seal.

Now I'm thinking of putting an application of either bag kote or tan kote somewhere before step 3. I want the the leather to be able to accept later applications of leather conditioner, neatsfoot oil, and pecards/aussie wax/sno seal.

As always, Thank you very much for your help.

Ed

Got off the phone with Ron at Hidecrafters. He suggested I stay with bag kote, and that the tan kote was better for mixing with antique.

His reasoning is that the tan kote treated leather tends get a bit gummy or tacky when wet, so is better not used on anything that will be exposed to moisture.

ed