Sign in to follow this  
Patdf

help me make guitar pickguards

Hello all,

Both of my brothers play guitar, and while looking at my new found hobby they mentioned that they have seem leather guitar pickguards. I did a google search and saw some, and they looked awesome. I'd like to attempt to make one for them. Could I get some help in leading me in right direction of attempting this project? The first questions (I'm sure they'll be more LOL) would be what weight of leather would be best for tooling, I'm assumeing you wouldn't want it to thick. Second, how would it be finished on the edges, and how would it be installed on the guitar so the edges of the leather won't lift up? I understand they are attached with several screws. I tried a search but didn't come up with any thing on this site (I could of missed it ) any help in starting this project would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pat

Het Pat! Merry Christmas!!

I'm about to make one for my 5 string elec. mandolin. I;m going to use 4/5 oz. so that I can get some depth on the tooling. Probably skive the edges(flesh side!) and glue to the present pick-guard. Skive it thin enough and it should look good. You might want to tape/glue it first and allow for a little stretch on you pattern for ample borders. I'll do mine 1/8th over so as to have plenty of "mistake" room when I skive it. No need to edge it.

Let me know how your's goes.

pete

this was my attempt. 7/8 oz

i installed it on a telecaster. edges haven't lifted so far, but additional screws wouldn't hurt probably.

the string height was fine, don't know if gluing it to the plastic pickquard would add too much height, you'll have to measure.

or cut out a piece of thinner plastic to glue to.

http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/index.p...ic=2753&hl=