First off let me start with I have never worked leather stitching or holster making in my life. I sat down with a scrap piece with some strange range marks and decided to give the moulding a try. After words I thought what the heck why not go ahead and see what if anything I can do with this. After a lot of head scratching and much thunking I thunk this up. I know its rough as a corn cob pipe but what amazes me its that it is actually functional and wears rather nicely. The gun fits perfect and tight. So consider that I started with no pattern and absolutly no experience in holsters whatsoever. It kind of just happened. With that please tell me what I might have done differently other than making a pattern first I kind of figured that one out the hard way. I did realize that my stitch holes were way to big and as a result I dubble stitched for strength and to try and hide the hugh holes. So let me have it what is my next step is there a book I should get? On stitching and holster making?DSC00817__Small_.JPGDSC00818__Small_.JPG[att

chment=7644:DSC00819__Small_.JPG]DSC00820__Small_.JPG[attachme

t=7646:DSC00821__Small_.JPG]DSC00822__Small_.JPGSuzuki__Bike_Seat.jpg

DSC00819__Small_.JPG

DSC00821__Small_.JPG

DSC00823__Small_.JPG

post-5977-1203736318_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736332_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736341_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736351_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736364_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736371_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1203736378_thumb.jpg

Well I at least expected someone to say nice Stainless S&W pistol you got there Big. I know it looks bad. But I was looking for a little advice or something. Let me have it guys your not going to hurt my feelings. I really want some advice and feedback. Or just tell me you really are hopeless and should stick to belts and kits because you lack any skills and and we dont think you are worthy of any help or advice.

Bighearn,

Just woke up and looked through here, since I make a few knife sheaths this is my favorite area, and saw your post. Keeping in mind I am not a pro and a beginner myself here we go :D .

In my opinion you kicked some major butt with this project and heres why. First off you took the plunge and actually made the holster. You said it yourself it's rough as a corncob pipe but it is actually functional and wears nicely. Seems to me you accomplished a whole lot right there. Also you figured out a few things; needing a pattern and the size of your stitch holes. So you now know more about molding a holster, needing a pattern, and stitching than you did when you started. End result pf this project is you now have a holster, some new found knowledge, and you had some fun (or at least you should have :P ).

As far as books go I would recommend Al Stohlman's book "How to Make Holsters". A good book that covers a whole lot about making holster. It's a great book, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and should get you on the right track making some really nice basic holsters.

Just my two cents your mileage my vary :cowboy:

Nick

Thanks for the reply. And the book reference, I been looking at getting it but just was not sure if it would have what I needed. I really was not interested in the gunslinger types but something on making from scratch but if it contains info on that then I might go pick it up. My local Tandy dealer has a copy of it and you are right it is cheap enough to at least give a try.

The first test in building holsters is to actually build one. You passed that test!

You built yourself a functional holster. Like anything else, the more leatherwork you do, the more holsters you build, the better you get. Everyone on this forum started where you are. My first holster wasn't even functional so your one up on me. As far as holster making, there are few books out there. You may want to pick up Al Stohlmans book on holster making available through Tandy Leather Company.

Your best bet for learning holster making is to study the posts and photos on this forum and ask questions. We have new holster makers through pro holster makers here.You will not find a nicer more helpful group of people then you will find on this forum.

As far as your holster, and because of the wrinkles in the leather, I'm not sure if you used vegatable tan or chrome tanned leather. Always used vegatable tan leather for holsters. Chrome tanned leather won't hold up and the salts used in the tanning process will destroy the finish on your weapon. Your stitching looks nice and straight.

Now study this forum, ask questions, get busy and build more holsters!!!

Don't forget to post more photos of your work. We luvs dem pictures.

Best of luck.

Randy

As a newbie myself, functional=good. On another note, I have read posts in several threads warning not to use chrome tanned leather in holsters. I understand the logic as far as damaging the firearm, but how can you tell chrome from vegetable tan? I recieved a box of leather from a co-worker whose late father tooled leather and don't know exactly what I have. Thanks.

Thanks it was veg tanned it just had that crazy looking fold or range mark or whatever you want to call it. Like I said just started with a srap piece that was laying around and I didnt use because of that weird roll in it.

Big,

I'm one of the newer ones here, and really shouldn't be giving advise, but what the heck you asked for it. I think the first thing to do is get a proper gun, you did that. Second is to decide to buy two new holster for it at approx cost of $150 or go buy some proper tools and spend $145 and make you own. You chose the latter. Good so far. Your pictures are a little dark and out of focus on my end, so I'm curious what you used to punch the holes? You got the basic idea down, do another one, each one gets better. Next time you're at Tandy pick up their catalog if you haven't, Stohlman's "How to hand Stitch" is also a good book. When I bought the "How to Make Holsters" book by Stohlman, it rang up at $7.00 or $7.99 on sale.

Andy

Good so far. Your pictures are a little dark and out of focus on my end, so I'm curious what you used to punch the holes

I used a regular hole punch after i used a stitch wheel to mark my lines. I got a lot of hole punches just went to big. Should i use a stitch punch if there is such a thing. I do have a stitching tool I think it has four different blades for lack of a better word that i think I should have used to drive the holes rather than punch. Not sure but I am going to pick up a few different books Monday at Tandy. Got to bite the bullet I guess never been much on instructions for anything I'm the kind of guy that always spent all night Christmas night putting together all the toys that required being put together because I never would look at the instructions just liked the figuring it out part.

Hey, Bighearn. Holster making is a tricky business isn't it. Sorry for the slow response. I've been a little preoccupied with my own holster dilemas, so I waited to answer any posts 'cause I thought some other folks would step in.

I would make two changes to improve your next holster. First, I would cut the leather about 1/2" or 3/4" lower on the trigger guard side, so you can get a full grip on the pistol while it is still in the holster. Next, I would cut a 3/8" dowl to length and tape it to the top of the slide to form a sight channel, so the front sight doesn't scrape leather as you draw your gun.

After that, it's just down to your own creativity and a bunch of trial and error. Do you own a drill press? You can use a 1/32" or a 1/16" drill bit to punch your holes. I have read recently on another forum that their are a couple of guys who use a sharpie marker to bone their holsters. In other words, try a bunch of stuff and let us know how it went.

Definitely post pictures of your next holster. I bet you'll see a lot of improvement in each build. BTW, is that a S&W 645? I can't tell by the handle alone.

HYou know your guns sir yes it is a 645 most relaible auto I have

Big, when you say you used a regular hole punch what do you mean? Are you talking about a stitching awl? If you are sewing by hand it is the only way to go, in my opinion anyway. You can get a leather sewing kit from TLF. It will have a stitching awl, a over stitch tool, a stitching groover and the Al Stohlman "How to Sew Leather" book. The kit is a bargain. There are plans for building a stitching horse in the back of the book. You need a stitching pony or horse to sew by hand. Yes you can use a drill or press with a small drill bit in it, but in my opinion it is much slower than sewing by hand with an awl. There have been certain times when I have pre-drilled holes on some projects, but they are the exception, not the rule. Your holster is good, especially since you had no plan or experience. Keep it up, because I guarantee that the next one will be better than this one and like I said this one isn't bad!

Warren

Big, when you say you used a regular hole punch what do you mean? Are you talking about a stitching awl? If you are sewing by hand it is the only way to go, in my opinion anyway. You can get a leather sewing kit from TLF. It will have a stitching awl, a over stitch tool, a stitching groover and the Al Stohlman "How to Sew Leather" book. The kit is a bargain. There are plans for building a stitching horse in the back of the book. You need a stitching pony or horse to sew by hand. Yes you can use a drill or press with a small drill bit in it, but in my opinion it is much slower than sewing by hand with an awl. There have been certain times when I have pre-drilled holes on some projects, but they are the exception, not the rule. Your holster is good, especially since you had no plan or experience. Keep it up, because I guarantee that the next one will be better than this one and like I said this one isn't bad!

I have a awl with four different blades but was not sure never have used it. I have a stitching wheel with three different wheels. I think I am going to get two books one on making holsters and one on stitching. Might pick up a stitching pony also. Or just look at it and then make one. It was a learning experience just trying and I have already learned a lot just from the input. Next attempt I will make a pattern first. Then stitch using my awl and wheel probally pick up a groover also. Might take a while to put the next one together as I will spend the next week or so doing some research and a little pratice sticthing on some scrap.