Steve

Cantle Binding

Has anybody used latigo for a cantle binding? I’ve got a guy wanting a scalloped latigo cantle binding. It might be common practice somewhere, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen latigo used. It doesn’t seem like a real good idea to me, but I could sure be wrong on that. Thanks

Steve

Steve I have seen it done before. My suggestion would be to dye a piece of skirting burgandy and let him think it is latigo. I also use to pink the back edge of alot of bindings and while it looks great those pinks will curl up over time and look like heck. Greg

Steve I have seen it done before. My suggestion would be to dye a piece of skirting burgandy and let him think it is latigo. I also use to pink the back edge of alot of bindings and while it looks great those pinks will curl up over time and look like heck. Greg

Greg, Thanks for the reply, I've just been building saddles a few years , so I don't have that much experience to draw from. Dyeing skirting was kind of what I thought would be best to do. When you pinked or scalloped the back edge of the binding did you put esctcheon pins in the scallops and glue them down?

Thanks again

Steve

I'm inclined to keep the scallops short and close to the stitching, then use a seeder on each one. That helps keep the proper shape.