Sign in to follow this  
electrathon

Can I convert to a treadle?

I have a 107W1 sewing machine that stitches very nice but is so fast I have no control over it. I am making wallet inserts and similar small pieces. I found that this uncontrolable machine works well if I simply remove the belt and crank it by hand. Is there any reason why I can not find a treadle and convert the machine? I am not into production at all and simply do this as a hobby.

Aaron

I have a 107W1 sewing machine that stitches very nice but is so fast I have no control over it. I am making wallet inserts and similar small pieces. I found that this uncontrolable machine works well if I simply remove the belt and crank it by hand. Is there any reason why I can not find a treadle and convert the machine? I am not into production at all and simply do this as a hobby.

Aaron

It is cheaper to put a servo motor on it than it is to buy a treadle in most cases. If you can score a good deal on a treadle it will certainly work. I think that machine will run on a small sewing machine motor with a variable speed control. If you are stitching leather the servo motor is the best bet because it has more power.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I found a treadle machine for $50 that I can take the treadle off of, so I was thinking that would be an easy way to go. I am pretty thrifty when it comes to making things work, so I was hoping this was a good solution. I have been hand cranking it with no motor and while it works, it would be nice to sometimes be able to hold the leather with both hands too.

Edited by electrathon

If you found another machine, could it be, that you might exchange the heads. Its amazing how many many machines will fit another base. Most just have two small hook like hinges, some are held in by set screws, easy to change. I know its a long shot- but just maybe. Earl

I think you would need an industrial treadle. The 107w is a short machine so it would fit in a domestic treadle, but the drive belts are different sizes. Domestic machines take a 3/16" belt while industrial take a 5/16". I don't know if that would work together, though it could be interesting to see if it did.