Johanna

Hollow Trees unsafe?

I read an article in Shop Talk today about cheap imported "lightweight" saddles made with hollow trees. The author of the article cited professionals who felt this was unsafe and dangerous. Did any of you read the article, and what did you think of the responses from the people quoted? Are these things really that unsafe for the casual pleasure rider? Type slowly- I don't know much about horses and their accessories, and I don't even ride a horse on TV. You'll have to explain it in real simple terms.

Johanna

Unless they are a Salisbury bronc saddle, I'd be pretty leary of them.

You know I've actually got an older saddle here that has a hollow fiberglass tree in it. There is absolutely no way to repair them, they used pop rivets and staples to put it together. Definitely can't be safe!

Lacey

I had one fail on me... I was trying to drag some firewood with the horn and it just came apart... no one got hurt and no one was in any danger, but then, firewood does not jump around and carry on like a cow. (Also my horse knew better than to cross me, and behaved throughout. ;) )

That sort of thing makes me a traditionalist when it comes to gear. I'd rather have it over engineered than under...

I have never seen these to be any good or very safe. When I have seen them cracked I have offered to sell the customer a new saddle. That is just my experience for what its worth. All these do is lighten the saddle at the cost of the safety, again just an opinion

I had a customer bring in a repair saddle. He said he had just bought it at an auction and when he put it on his horse and pulled up the cinch, the rigging pulled out of the saddle!!! When I tore into it I found that the tree was a hollow fiberglass and the rigging had 2 screws and about 5 staples. Maybe there are different types of hollow trees and some may be stronger than others,but I felt that this was not a safe saddle. and proceeded to put everything back together with better leather in the rigging the best possible glue job and better screws all around. When the customer came back in. I told him that this saddle was not safe. I had a few good trees in the shop and showed him the difference. A week later he said that he had sold the saddle on Ebay and was saving for a new and better saddle. My advice, Spend the extra money for a good saddle otherwise that money or more may be spent on a trip to the hospital.

Can the true difference in weight be so discernable as to truly provide a significant weight difference? A pound, maybe 2? If you are that concerned with weight, skip breakfast before riding, and ride a saddle with a quality tree. It sounds deceptive. They want to make cheap trees real fast, but need a gimmick to get them to sell. I am sure they do not compare their products strength to a proper tree do they? This is exactly why I hate the idea of going to a tack shop and buying a saddle off the shelf. Do you really know what is inside? My money is just so hard to come by.

A buyers perspective.

Edited by Newfman

Can the true difference in weight be so discernable as to truly provide a significant weight difference? A pound, maybe 2? If you are that concerned with weight, skip breakfast before riding, and ride a saddle with a quality tree. It sounds deceptive. They want to make cheap trees real fast, but need a gimmick to get them to sell. I am sure they do not compare their products strength to a proper tree do they? This is exactly why I hate the idea of going to a tack shop and buying a saddle off the shelf. Do you really know what is inside? My money is just so hard to come by.

A buyers perspective.

I agree with all the comments here. Final note, these trees are "blow molded", a very cheap way to make them and why they are hollow. Using the excuse that they are hollow to save weight. Unless you are a die hard barrel racer who feels that that couple of pounds is really worth a hundreth of a second and have a competent maker make one for you saving the weight in the right spots, you shouldn't be concerned about a the weight of a saddle. I have been riding for over 55 years on all kind of saddles and horses, and I have yet to see where a couple of pounds will make a difference to a 1000 lb. + animal. By the way, I weigh over 200 lbs, and the saddle I personally use weighs about 50 lbs and "Old Duke" never complains! If you are going to error, do it on the side of safety. My saddles can range from about 35 lbs. to 60 lbs, depending on what it is made for and the type of rigging, stirrup leathers and so on. The most important thing is that the maker use only the best materials and tried and proven methods to make your saddle.

Happy Trails!

Bondo Bob