tat2

Junker and Ruh sd 28

Hello Hello I'm looking into buying a Junker Ruh sd 28, Its a pre ww2 sewer from Germany, used for shoes. It also has a great clamp which will alow the user to sew around wet forming. I'm interested in getting information on how it works, if it stitches well and if anyone is selling one. Curious what they go for. WOndering what people use it for in today's market.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stephen

www.greenmanleather.ca

Junker69.jpg

post-8173-1232737722_thumb.jpg

Hello Hello I'm looking into buying a Junker Ruh sd 28, Its a pre ww2 sewer from Germany, used for shoes. It also has a great clamp which will alow the user to sew around wet forming. I'm interested in getting information on how it works, if it stitches well and if anyone is selling one. Curious what they go for. WOndering what people use it for in today's market.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stephen

www.greenmanleather.ca

Did you get those pictures from Henry's post on the very same machine? All your questions are answered in his post?

Did you get those pictures from Henry's post on the very same machine? All your questions are answered in his post?

Yes they are Henry's Pics. I wanted to hear antother thought about how the machine performs and what price people bought one for.

SOC

I am also interested in purchasing a Junker Ruh S.D. 28 as seen on the HCC site.

I will pay a handsome profit to the correct owner of such small leather stitching machinery.

I am adding to our collection of antique stitchers and intend to one day present a display of the history of boot, shoe, and saddle making.

Jerry Zonis

Artisan Company, Ltd

Los Angeles, CA USA 90040

JerryZ@artisansew.com

Henry Veenhoven

Creative Leatherworks

416-231-1870

I think he wants $650.

Art

I am also interested in purchasing a Junker Ruh S.D. 28 as seen on the HCC site.

I will pay a handsome profit to the correct owner of such small leather stitching machinery.

I am adding to our collection of antique stitchers and intend to one day present a display of the history of boot, shoe, and saddle making.

Jerry Zonis

Artisan Company, Ltd

Los Angeles, CA USA 90040

JerryZ@artisansew.com

Hi Guys and galls

I have recently joined the group and

I have just bought the same machine from a freind but there were no instructions etc with her, does anyone know where I can find out more about this old girl, IE how to thread it, where I can get needles from etc, any information would be gratefully recieved.

Davy Dtephenson

Trad shoe maker in the UK

Anybody know the link to Henry's post about this machines

Davy.

Hi Guys and galls

I have just bought the same machine from a freind but there were no instructions etc with her, does anyone know where I can find out more about this old girl, IE how to thread it, where I can get needles from etc, any information would be gratefully recieved.

Davy Dtephenson

Hi Davy,

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send you a PDF of the manual.

Ray

Hi,

I hope these things work better than the 'Planet Sole Stitcher' my Grandfather had (see pic), that was useless!!

Steve

Planet_Stitcher.JPG

post-7482-1235950576_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys and galls

Davy Dtephenson

Davy,

Send me an Email and I can send you a 'pdf' of the manual.

Cheers,

Henry Veenhoven

Toronto, Canada

416-231-1870

My Email

These are fantastic little machines, but infuriatingly difficult to find needles for any more. Pedersen made a clone, the Model #308 which is part-for-part compatible, but the last manufacturer of needles Groz Beckert in Germany no longer makes them and the only size they have in stock are the gigantic #8's.

Parts can still be had, if you've got enough money. I'm waiting on a quote to get some manufactured.

I've just finished restoring one from "been in a shed for 20 years" back to working condition, but I haven't yet got needles for it. If I can get a supply of needles then I'll go whole hog and get the plating restored as well and find replacement bobbin winder etc.

Here's my one:

As I got it:

IMG_5534.jpg

After first strip and degrease/clean

IMG_5624.jpg

After stripping the rust and properly cleaning it:

IMG_6389.jpg

post-13283-126372238368_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126372238556_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126372238687_thumb.jpg

These are fantastic little machines, but infuriatingly difficult to find needles for any more. Pedersen made a clone, the Model #308 which is part-for-part compatible, but the last manufacturer of needles Groz Beckert in Germany no longer makes them and the only size they have in stock are the gigantic #8's.

Parts can still be had, if you've got enough money. I'm waiting on a quote to get some manufactured.

I've just finished restoring one from "been in a shed for 20 years" back to working condition, but I haven't yet got needles for it. If I can get a supply of needles then I'll go whole hog and get the plating restored as well and find replacement bobbin winder etc.

Here's my one:

As I got it:

IMG_5534.jpg

After first strip and degrease/clean

IMG_5624.jpg

After stripping the rust and properly cleaning it:

IMG_6389.jpg

Hi! i have just joined this group. Original Needles for junker sd 28 are still available in Germany. I have purchased 5 at the price 9 euros needle on e.bay.com in Germany. I payed in advance and the needles came after 1 week from Germany To Sweden where i live.

I am looking forvard to restore my junker sd 28 that i bougt on a auktion for only 350 Swedish Crowns the price of a meal at the restaurant.

By the way, there is a junker sd28 for sale on www.blocket.se for 5000 Swedish crowns and the bobon is missing. This is some tips if someone is intrested.

I can send adress and phonenumber of the guy that sells original needles if you wish.

Good Luck! Angelo/Sweden

Hi Angelo,

Hi! i have just joined this group. Original Needles for junker sd 28 are still available in Germany. I have purchased 5 at the price 9 euros needle on e.bay.com in Germany. I payed in advance and the needles came after 1 week from Germany To Sweden where i live.

I am looking forvard to restore my junker sd 28 that i bougt on a auktion for only 350 Swedish Crowns the price of a meal at the restaurant.

By the way, there is a junker sd28 for sale on www.blocket.se for 5000 Swedish crowns and the bobon is missing. This is some tips if someone is intrested.

I can send adress and phonenumber of the guy that sells original needles if you wish.

Good Luck! Angelo/Sweden

There are a few places still selling needles, but they're expensive. I just laid in at vast cost what I hope is a lifetime's supply of the sizes I could get my hands on (15 x #5 & #6, 5x #8) but I can't find an even vaguely affordable source of #7 needles, which seem to be the most commonly used, and therefore now hardest to find, size.

When you get to working on your machine check that the point of the shuttle is good and sharp, even if everything else is right it won't sew if it isn't. If you need manuals let me know.

If you need parts get in touch with Henry Veenhoven. He's rebuilt more of these machines that most of us'll see in a lifetime.

Hi pals,

i am looking for liquid wax to put in my SD-28. Where can I get it? Europe when possible.

thanks,

Kristof

Something of a necropost, but as it's associated...

I've just bought an SD28. It has a needle, it's threaded per the instructions (although I'm using it dry, not through gum trag). Still having a bit of trouble with adjusting the thread tension (either pulling the bottom thread through or ending up with looping under the leather), but I think I'll crack that.

What I don't know is what the thread numbering in the manual equates to - I've got a #5 or #6 needle (well, the front plate is a 5/6) which according to the manual runs a 4, 5 or 6 thread. I've seen somewhere else that #7 needles are large, so that would mean the thread sizes don't tally with what I'm used to (larger numbers, finer thread).

The other question at the moment is - is there a top plate that doesn't have the toe that runs in the opposite groove? Can't quite tell from the parts list.

Actually, thinking about it - is there an idiot guide to refurbing one of these? Or should I just email Henry?