Seamus

My shot at a mug

I've been wanting to make one of these for quite some time. Though I have read about a forthcoming tutorial, I've not found one that already exists. So I had to wing it.

I haven't finished the painting I want to do, and I haven't lined it with pitch or bees' wax, and I still need to burnish the lip.

For a first attempt, though I certainly went over board on the size, turned out pretty nicely in my opinion (and I'm usually pretty critical of myself).

I'm open to opinions and suggestions from those of you with more experiance than me in this area:

triquerta_mug_01.jpg triquerta_mug_02.jpg

triquerta_mug_03.jpg triquerta_mug_04.jpg

post-8293-1233105726_thumb.jpg

post-8293-1233105756_thumb.jpg

post-8293-1233105800_thumb.jpg

post-8293-1233105840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seamus

One more shot to demonstrate the size:

triquerta_mug_05.jpg

post-8293-1233106067_thumb.jpg

How much will that mug hold ?

looks like about 1/2 gallon.

How much will that mug hold ?

looks like about 1/2 gallon.

Well... umm... I'll geek something out and calculate the approximate volume. I can't test it imperically at the moment as the stitching holes would leak.

It measures 4.375" in diameter (2.1875" radius). It's 6.875" deep. Doing the math using 3.142 for pi gives us 3.142 x 2.1875 x 2.1875 x 6.875 = 103.365 cubic inches. OnlineConversion.com tells me that this converts to .447 gallons... so... yeah... 1/2 gallon. That'd be 1 quart. 2 pints. 4 cups. 32 ounces. Ultimately... plenty of mead. :) For our metric friends... thats about 1.6L.

LOVE THAT MEAD............

Edited by Luke Hatley

I just realized that I said 1/2 gallon is 1 quart, yadda yadda. It's actually double all those. I must have been pretty tired.

If this is your first shot at making a mug, then it was very well done. I'm currently working on building a new work bench for my leatherworking, and as soon as it's done, I'll get a tutorial on how I make my mugs. Again, very nice job!

If this is your first shot at making a mug, then it was very well done. I'm currently working on building a new work bench for my leatherworking, and as soon as it's done, I'll get a tutorial on how I make my mugs. Again, very nice job!

Yes, this was my first attempt at a mug. Not my first leatherworking endeavor, but my first mug. I'm still learning how to tool leather and what not, which is why I went with the simple triquerta design.

I have made a second mug, which I will get shots of tomorrow evening. It's considerably smaller (it actually fits completely inside of the first, with room to spare on the sides and above it), but I did a little more extensive tooling. I scored a lattice work into the sides all the way around. Looks very nice, if I do say so myself. I'll post here and let you folks be the judge.

Thanks for the complement, and I look forward to seeing your tutorial as I'd like to see if I can improve on my own self taught method.

And, now a look at the bottle I need to wax:

triquerta_bottle_01.jpg triquerta_bottle_02.jpg triquerta_bottle_03.jpg

Shaped it using popcorn kernals. I owe thanks to someone off of these forums for that idea. I was going to use BBs, but the popcorn was much cheaper, and more readily available.

post-8293-1233375247_thumb.jpg

post-8293-1233375261_thumb.jpg

post-8293-1233375288_thumb.jpg

: P2150012.JPGthanks for the Heads up on popcorn.......i won't be washing Sand from my

Bottles any more............

post-1906-1233376829_thumb.jpg

: P2150012.JPGthanks for the Heads up on popcorn.......i won't be washing Sand from my

Bottles any more............

Glad I could spread the word. I can't take credit for the idea, though.

How do you get the deep mahogany finish like the bottle to the right of that photo? Do you dye the bottle or is there coloring in with the wax?

Glad I could spread the word. I can't take credit for the idea, though.

How do you get the deep mahogany finish like the bottle to the right of that photo? Do you dye the bottle or is there coloring in with the wax?

Fiebings Oil Dye...........little black in dark brown also the Hot Water darkened it up some.

( these are the last of the Real Bewers Pitch)

Edited by Luke Hatley

Fiebings Oil Dye...........little black in dark brown also the Hot Water darkened it up some.

( these are the last of the Real Bewers Pitch)

Speaking of brewers' pitch... I've read a few places about blending it with bees' wax. Apparently, the brewers' pitch by itself is "sticky," but flexible. The bees' wax, by itself, is brittle. If you blend the two, you get a not too brittle, not too sticky sealer. Any ideas as to the ratio?

Speaking of brewers' pitch... I've read a few places about blending it with bees' wax. Apparently, the brewers' pitch by itself is "sticky," but flexible. The bees' wax, by itself, is brittle. If you blend the two, you get a not too brittle, not too sticky sealer. Any ideas as to the ratio?

In my mugs, I usually go for about a 50/50 ratio, but I don't measure. And it seems like there is a bit of separation of something in the pitch when it's blended with the wax, because I find this thick, tarry substance along the bottom of the can I use for the mixture. I'm assuming it's the pitch as it's very sticky. With that long diatribe, my ratio is probably weakened somewhat from the pitch side, and a bit heavier with the wax...

I remember reading up on someone else who was mixing the beeswax and brewer's pitch, and I want to say they mentioned a 4/1 ratio... But I can't remember if it was 4 wax to 1 pitch, or the other way around.

All in all, I stick with 50/50 and eyeball it, it's just easier. My blend is still still somewhat sticky, but after a little use, it goes away... I'd just rather put up with the sticky than get the mix too brittle.

Oh, and I'm the one with the popcorn trick... :innocent:

In my mugs, I usually go for about a 50/50 ratio, but I don't measure. And it seems like there is a bit of separation of something in the pitch when it's blended with the wax, because I find this thick, tarry substance along the bottom of the can I use for the mixture. I'm assuming it's the pitch as it's very sticky. With that long diatribe, my ratio is probably weakened somewhat from the pitch side, and a bit heavier with the wax...

I remember reading up on someone else who was mixing the beeswax and brewer's pitch, and I want to say they mentioned a 4/1 ratio... But I can't remember if it was 4 wax to 1 pitch, or the other way around.

All in all, I stick with 50/50 and eyeball it, it's just easier. My blend is still still somewhat sticky, but after a little use, it goes away... I'd just rather put up with the sticky than get the mix too brittle.

Looks like I'll just take a stab at it. I'll do small batches just big enough to seal up one mug. Once I have it down, I can make bigger batches and use it on my mugs and bottles.

Oh, and I'm the one with the popcorn trick... :innocent:

My hat's off to you. To steal a quote from the Guinness (yum!) commercials: "BRILLIANT!"