Sign in to follow this  
oyvindbl

Overhaul of sewing machine??

I have 2 old sewing machines which have been poorly stored for several years. Both of the are stuck, and I have been told one of them was in need of an adjustment when it was palced in storage. Do I have to get them serviced by a repairman or is this a job I can do myself?

The one that needs adjustment is a PFAFF sewing machine and the other one is a Singer.

When I got these machines I also got a huge green sewing machine which is supposed to stand upright on the floor (I was told it was used for sewing soles on shoes). I think it is almost 6 feet high and weighs several hundred pounds. Is it useable for anything else than anchoring a boat?

In the same lot I got a huge clicker press and steh knives for all kinds of shoe soles, but I guess I can get of the press some time.

All of this had been stored in a moist barn, so they need some work, but I hope I at least can get something to work.

It didn't cost me a dime, so I don't have anything to loose anyway.

I have 2 old sewing machines which have been poorly stored for several years. Both of the are stuck, and I have been told one of them was in need of an adjustment when it was palced in storage. Do I have to get them serviced by a repairman or is this a job I can do myself?

The one that needs adjustment is a PFAFF sewing machine and the other one is a Singer.

When I got these machines I also got a huge green sewing machine which is supposed to stand upright on the floor (I was told it was used for sewing soles on shoes). I think it is almost 6 feet high and weighs several hundred pounds. Is it useable for anything else than anchoring a boat?

In the same lot I got a huge clicker press and steh knives for all kinds of shoe soles, but I guess I can get of the press some time.

All of this had been stored in a moist barn, so they need some work, but I hope I at least can get something to work.

It didn't cost me a dime, so I don't have anything to loose anyway.

If you don't know the names of the machines it is very unlikely that you can service them. But there are many people/places that can service them for you. Probably the easiest to identify is the tall machine. You probably have a Landis K or Landis American Straight Needle stitcher used to sew on shoe soles. Sounds like you have a lot of other old shoe making equipment. Post PIX and we will help you find out what you have. Try to take PIX of the model numbers/info.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

There is aproduct called "Kano-Kroil",It is a creaping Light Lube,I use it to clean Firearms, but I suspect a liberal app on those moving parts would start to loosen them up.Midway sells it.www.midwayusa.com